Forum

Author Topic: Tie points // areas of poor overlapping  (Read 3636 times)

toxicmag

• View Profile
Tie points // areas of poor overlapping
« on: October 18, 2017, 06:08:21 PM »
Dear members,

i would like to create an orthomosaic of a wall.
The 3D-structure of the wall is not of any interest, just a large stitched photo with the possibility to measure distances is needed (GCPs exist).

So overlapping was not a focus (~20%) but for sure i need a clean mesh to project on.
Unfortunately there are too few tie points (and because of that holes in the mesh that cannot be closed) and the final orthophoto has a lot of gaps. I tried to improve this fact be placing markers manually but the tie points seem to exist already from one photo to the other, because i got recommended positions for the marker on the other photo.

Does anyone have a solution to get the holes closed?
Or can i somehow put a detailled scale on a stitched photo from different software?

Please take a look on the two screenshots (1 -Photoscan with holes; 2- AutoPano when just stitched).

Thanks a lot

Alex
#multirotor #VTOL #Trinity #Quantum-Systems #a6000 #a7R #RedEdge #ALTUM #RX1II

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Tie points // areas of poor overlapping
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 06:28:24 PM »
Hello Alex,

Before generating mesh you can extend the bounding box and then use Extrapolated option and Height Field surface type (note that colored side of the box should be parallel to the projection plane and be beneath the model) in Build Mesh dialog - it would fill all the gaps up to the bounding box sides.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

toxicmag

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 07:07:10 PM »
Alexey - you're the best.  ;)
Thanks a lot. The issue was solved.

I noticed that in the latest photoscanPro version you cannot grab the three coloured axis directly on the trackball when moving the model, or the region. Earlier it was easier to rotate one axis, when the two others still kept fixed.

Nevertheless - thanks for your quick help.

Greetings

Alex

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 07:38:57 PM »
I noticed that in the latest photoscanPro version you cannot grab the three coloured axis directly on the trackball when moving the model, or the region. Earlier it was easier to rotate one axis, when the two others still kept fixed.

Hello Alex,

That's strange - just checked it in 1.3.4 and 1.4.0 pre-release and it works as expected. Which OS you are using?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

toxicmag

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 07:43:09 PM »
Win 10 64bit and a freshly installed 1.3.4 build 5067

Just restarted again and still the same. If you move the mouse over the coloured lines of the trackball they do not become bold like before. The rotation is "free" in all axis when you grab it.

toxicmag

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 07:52:07 PM »
Last - but not least, there's a small final issue, you might have an answer for.

The model is a little bended (s. screenshot) directly after alignment (also camera optimization does not help).
It should be a straight flat and level model (it's an indoor ceiling o a buidling).

Thanks

Alex

toxicmag

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 06:46:05 PM »
Another bug (?) in the current release is that a printed value with the achieved GSD is not present in the processing report. Something my clients wants to see when i deliver orthomosaics, because i guarantee a specific resolution in advance.

It is shown in the chunk (behind the values of the Orthomosaic) but it's not in the report.

Thanks a lot for a feedback

Alex

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 07:22:39 PM »
Hello Alex,

GSD in report only appear for the referenced projects, so you need to apply the scale to your project, either using the coordinates of the camera centers or marker positions, or by scaling the model using scale bars instances.

If you have any reference information the optimization would be also helpful in terms of fixing the bowl effect.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

toxicmag

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 08:01:19 PM »
Ok, is see...
I have only two markers - just to give a rough scale to the orthomosaic and do not have to rely on manual distances to scale it. And the GSD is already shown by photoscan in the workspace pane - but not printed in the report.

But it's fine - i could simply give a screenshot to my client to proof the pixel sizes of the orthos i create.

Some visualization bugs also seem to occur from chunk to chunk (by clicking between model, tie points, orthomosaic randomly). In some cases the orthomosaic does not appear. Export doesn't work as well. Going back to mesh or tie points often show nothing in the model pane.

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 08:26:57 PM »
Hello toxicmag,

If you have at least some rough distance for the scale bar, you can apply it by pressing Update button on the Reference pane. Without that the values shown as the orthomosaic resolution is not reliable.

After applying the scale you can manually orient the model relatively to the coordinate system axis using Rotate Object tool and then apply the pseudo-referencing typing the following command to the Console pane:
Code: [Select]
PhotoScan.app.document.chunk.transform.matrix = PhotoScan.app.document.chunk.transform.matrix
Then rebuild the orthomosaic.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

toxicmag

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 02:24:02 PM »

Hello Alex,

That's strange - just checked it in 1.3.4 and 1.4.0 pre-release and it works as expected. Which OS you are using?

Update: About the bug (?) when grabbing the three axis of the trackball => You can only grab one axis if the trackball is permanently switched on in the menu for "visible items". Otherwise it will also appear when you enter any rotation mode, but you will not be able to grab one axis.

Greetings

Alex