Forum

Author Topic: "error reading project" again  (Read 1924 times)

weissspice

• View Profile
"error reading project" again
« on: December 03, 2017, 01:01:28 AM »
Hi all,
Seems I've messed up my project again.  Here's what happened:

Spent yesterday working on the project, involving a LOT of merging chunks.  Saved the project (which took about a half hour to save), closed the program.  The command line window stayed open when I'd closed the program (I have no recollection about what it said, other than there were several lines of possible errors, but I really don't remember the content), tried to unmount the harddrive that holds the project, and after 15 minutes of it continuing to tell me that it was still in use, I just pulled the USB (I know I know). 

Go to open the thing today and first, the directory is corrupted.  So I fixed that (teach me to pull a USB while it's realigning directories), and then tried to open the project.  It loads for about 30 seconds, and then I get the "Error reading project" dialog box.  Ok, have seen this before.  I cleaned out the references to two chunks that lost their subfolders and therefore might have been messing up the reference tree, but that didn't solve it this time.  I think the actual program (.psx) file might itself be corrupt.  I think that because the error pops up rather quickly - the last time it did this to me, there was a loading time that seemed reasonably comparable to the actual size of the project (just short of 500 chunks, kinda huge, usually takes upwards of 5 minutes to load, but with this new error, the estimated time to load is only a matter of seconds).

Is there any way to recover this?  I will have lost a week's work (which isn't the end of the world, just very disheartening to redo).  Let me know what y'all think.

Thanks!
-c

weissspice

• View Profile
Re: "error reading project" again
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 01:59:48 AM »
Fixed it again - I had indeed pulled the plug before a number of (old) chunks had their directories resolved, and therefore didn't have thumbnails or frame files in their subfolders, so I repopulated them from a backup I made a week ago, and deleted the few chunks that were just lost (only three recombined chunks) and got it working again.  Thank goodness for the command line that tells you where the error is.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 03:48:57 AM by weissspice »