Forum

Author Topic: Cannot place markers when using fiducials in ver. 1.4.0 build 5420  (Read 9416 times)

Erik Holmlund

• View Profile
Re: Cannot place markers when using fiducials in ver. 1.4.0 build 5420
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 02:47:31 PM »
Hi Alexey,
That sounds like a really useful feature!

May I also suggest adding "gray fiducials" that appear in the approximate vicinity when more than two fiducials are placed in an image? This would definitely speed up the workflow, as right clicking and adding each fiducial through the menu is quite time consuming.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 07:09:57 PM »
Hello Erik,

Actually, not sure, if it is possible to predict the location of fiducials before any of them are placed (the scanned image may be rotated anyhow), but I assume that it should be possible to give some prediction (gray fiducials) after 3-4 fiducials are placed and the relative fiducial locations are defined in Camera Calibration window.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Erik Holmlund

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 10:27:22 AM »
Hi Alexey,

What I imagined was if either fiducial locations were specified or if all fiducials are placed in at least one image. With that, wouldn't just two fiducials be needed for an additional image for a (crude) estimation of the internal coordinate system, and thus make an approximate placement of the others possible to aid the user?

I often find myself working with 40-50 images, with 8 fiducials each, thus requiring hundreds of manual placements. I've seen other photogrammetric software where such a feature already exists, and having such a feature here would really speed it up!

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 03:08:46 PM »
Hello Erik,

I think two marks would be insufficient, and three might be fine already for the rough estimation. We'll put it to the feature request list.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 05:40:36 PM »
Hello Erik,

Please check version 1.4.2 in the Downloads section, it has an automatic feature or suggesting fiducials (with gray arrows), after at least two fiducials are already placed on the image.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

adam_s

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2018, 01:41:49 PM »
Hello Alexey,

According to your previous posts, i'm not sure if i understood well... which kind of following fiducial marks can be deteced in the automatically way by PhotoScan? ony circles?

I'm asking because few years ago i developed method to preprocessing archival photographs to suitable form allowing to use them in Structure from Motion  technology.  For  this  purpose,  an  automatic  algorithm,  implemented  in the application  called  SAPC  (Scanned  Aerial Photographs Correction), which transforms scans to a form, which characteristic similar to the images captured by a digital camera, was invented. Images, which are created in the applied program as output data, are characterized by the same principal point position in each photo and the same resolution through cutting out the black photo frame. Additionally, SAPC generates a binary image file, which can mask areas of fiducial marks.   I am pleasantly surprised that you have added a new feature in PhotoScan for archival photos. It looks promising!

Link to my paper about SAPC: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/317307995_SAPC_-_APPLICATION_FOR_ADAPTING_SCANNED_ANALOGUE_PHOTOGRAPHS_TO_USE_THEM_IN_STRUCTURE_FROM_MOTION_TECHNOLOGY