Forum

Author Topic: File Load Error... Partial File Corruption?  (Read 8316 times)

Cory Strassburger

• View Profile
File Load Error... Partial File Corruption?
« on: November 06, 2012, 05:04:27 AM »
I've been doing some 4D work with 0.9.0 build 1586 (cpu specs below) and am running into corrupted files.  My initial test was 549 frames, 11 cameras.  Everything aligned, geo and textures built just fine, I scrubbed the animation and exported models and textures perfectly.  Saved the file which was around 7gigs.  Now when i re-open the .psz file it gets to a point during opening and photoscan gives me "can't open file" error.  At this point all is not lost,  an untitled document still opens and the camera alignment and point cloud data are still there for every frame.  However all the geometry and textures are gone.  The console doesn't report any details other than "can't load project".  Even if i save again the file size is still 7gigs so i have a feeling that the geometry data is still there.  I've create 2 other multiframe/4D projects and they both were corrupted in the same way, though I've tried single frame projects with no problems.

I just tried a 5 camera, 10 frame long 4D test and everything worked fine.  Built geo, textures and saved with no corruption, so i'm wondering if it may be a RAM issue or something that only becomes a problem with large data sets?  (For this test I used 5 cameras and 10 frames from the same capture session, though for speed I built geo at "low" and textures at 1024  vs "Medium" and textures at 2048 for the tests described above that were corrupted)

OSX 10.7.4, quadcore Intel, 16gigram, ATI Radeon 5770
Thanks, Cory

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: File Load Error... Partial File Corruption?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 07:10:28 PM »
Hello Cory,

Thank you for reporting.

Have you checked the memory consumption in activity monitor for the large projects?
When the project is opened it is fully kept in the memory (except the original photos), so in case in the uncompressed state it is greater than 16 GB RAM available on your computer there could be some problems, however, we have not been able yet to reproduce this problem.

For reducing the size of project you can remove depth maps before saving and decimate the 3d-models to the adequate values if high-poly models are not required.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 03:21:43 AM »
Hi Alexey,

If you want to partially reproduce the issue then shut down the program/process at the beginning of the build geometry phase before it has started to load the photos. In my experience this corrupts the project file every time.

Echostorm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 07:02:49 AM »
I too am having this problem. I found that my computer occationally locks up when Agisoft is running a batch. If it crashes during this save, it corrupts the PSZ. This has happened twice in the last two weeks. I am so frustrated, as all my masking work and 2 days processing time has just gone to waste again. Arghh. Is there an auto backup option for the PSZ file? I do save the file seperately and have been saved a few times from this, however there needs to be an auto numbering or something on the saves, with the option to delete them later.

Geophotologist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 04:46:40 AM »
Partial file corruption is a reoccuring issue for me now. I have to backup each save with the fear that the next one will be corrupt. Did anyone work out why the files get corrupted?

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 03:45:33 PM »
Projects can get corrupted in the following cases:
- save operation has been cancelled in the middle or the process and the project then was closed (without re-saving),
- project was being saved on the network or external drive, but there were connection issues (external drive removed or cable unplugged, for example),
- hard drive corrupted sectors.

In the version 1.2 it is possible to save the project in PSX format and keep the project progress as chunks. The format keeps the data in unpacked format and loads any the part that is required for processing or visualization, so unused chunks should 'n get corrupted in any case.

However, if you have the frequent problems with the corrupted projects, it would be better to contact our support and specify which steps were used and if the project has been stored and processed locally or via network.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC