Forum

Author Topic: Timelapse for Orthomosaics  (Read 2254 times)

obw

• View Profile
Timelapse for Orthomosaics
« on: February 08, 2018, 06:36:01 PM »
Hi  :)

Does anyone know of any methods/software that can handle such a large amount of data, to be able to create a timelapse video from Orthomosaics? I have a project where I want to have regular flights over the same large area and see the changes over time.

SAV

• View Profile
Re: Timelapse for Orthomosaics
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 04:00:22 AM »
Hi obw,

I don' think that it is necessary to work with full resolution imagery to create your 'timelapse' video. Even for a 4K video, the resolution of each individual frame is only 3,840 x 2,160 pixel (about 8 Megapixel).
Therefore, it is sufficient to export 8MP orthomosaics from Photoscan. But make sure to always export the exactly same area (probably best to use an OUTER BOUNDARY). Then save all orthomosaics as jpgs and import them into a video editing software (e.g., Adobe Premiere, iMovie, Windows Movie Maker,...), add a smooth transition between all of them, render and export the video. DONE.

Regards,
SAV
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:03:15 AM by SAV »

Erik Holmlund

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 02:38:04 PM »
Hi,
Adding to SAV's reply, I think the better part of this process could be scripted. Setting the extent, resolution and path in a chunk.exportOrthomosaic() that loops over every chunk, or however your project is structured, would be pretty simple.

SAV

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 04:16:07 AM »
Yes, as Erik mentioned it is probably best to write a few lines of Python code that do all the work for you  :)

Regards,
SAV