Forum

Author Topic: Texture mapping  (Read 2532 times)

nunocarrico

• View Profile
Texture mapping
« on: February 09, 2018, 01:22:41 PM »
Dear all,

I'm using Agisoft Photoscan Pro to made a 3D model of a historic tomb. After finishing the 3D i need colorize some parts of the texture in Adobe Photoshop but the texture is very complex and with hundreds of small and big islands.

How can export the texture with normal maps?

Thank you.

nunocarrico

• View Profile
Re: Texture mapping
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 01:28:56 PM »
I sending the texture as attachment.

Erik Holmlund

• View Profile
Re: Texture mapping
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 02:52:19 PM »
Hi,
What you see is the result of the type of texture atlas that you've chosen, namely the Generic option. That option is great for saving space, but as you've encountered, it's not very easy to edit head-on. One possibility is to try the Adaptive Orthophoto option, which saves larger regions and is easier to edit, but that can also lead to weird artefacts after editing, due to these regions not always blending correctly after an edit.

An option to this is to use the 3D-function in Photoshop. While it takes some time to understand, you can eventually edit even a Generic-mapped texture quite intuitively. I can't remember the workflow on the top of my head, but google has the answer!

Another software to do this in is Blender, which is free. I'ts quite a learning curve, but once you learn it you can do incredibly much with it. There you can edit the texture directly in 3D with all kinds of brushes, and it's really good once you learn how. Youtube has tons of tutorial videos of this.

For your second/first question, do you mean a texture map that looks normal or an actual map of the surface normals? For the latter, you can do it in Blender but not in PhotoScan.

Kind regards,

Erik