Forum

Author Topic: Laser (or other) noise projection? Regular pattern VS noise?  (Read 3873 times)

chrisd

• View Profile
Laser (or other) noise projection? Regular pattern VS noise?
« on: February 18, 2018, 03:00:07 AM »
I tried a search for this topic and for noise projection in general, nothing after 2013 or so comes up. Most of the laser projectors I've seen advertised are far too dim to be useful (200 lumens approx). I'm speaking of the type that project color images or video.

I'm not opposed to using a fixed color/pattern providing the point or line density is high enough to useful. The projected pattern should be bright enough to provide contrast with typical indoor lighting.

I do not know if noisy pattern provides advantages over a regular pattern. Hopefully I can learn more on that.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 08:01:06 PM by chrisd »

3dmij

• I make raspberry pi 3d Scanners
    • View Profile
    • pi3dscan
Re: Laser noise projection?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 02:57:15 PM »
we use computer projectors, which works fine. they are high resolution and we generate unique patterns.

http://www.pi3dscan.com/index.php/instructions

chrisd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 10:20:24 PM »
That would work for me in a studio situation, and they can be very bright.

Ideally I would like to find something portable, and able to run off batteries. I know that is a big constraint, and probably will limit brightness. I'm optimistic maybe there is something available that's a good compromise.

Kiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 01:14:45 PM »
Hi Chrisd,

I have read here, also some time ago, that someone used  flashlights to project images on the object (inverse camera principle) there is also a comercial product for this (light blaster for 100€), they are much brighter (depending on the used flashlight) and portable too.

Karsten
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 11:51:38 AM by Kiesel »

chrisd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 05:52:44 PM »
Light Blaster, that's a good one, thanks

There's a cube shaped prism that breaks the beam into thousands of points. I'll be damned if I can find it though Googling or other.

I've come across a few things that might work, but there's no way to compare a lot of these since the brightness is often not specified, or, if it is, is unclear how it is measured.

On the plus side, some stuff is cheap enough that it would not a be a great loss if it did not work.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:01:51 PM by chrisd »

Kiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 11:54:14 AM »
If you find that cube shaped prisma or you find another solution I'm interested too.

chrisd

• View Profile
Re: Laser (or other) noise projection?
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 07:57:44 PM »
laser -   https://www.laserglow.com/BOG
LED -      https://smartvisionlights.com/products/structured-light

Both of these projectors use a regular pattern instead of noise. I don't know if the regular pattern would compromise the effectiveness.

Although these are moderately expensive, the LED version far outlast the laser for roughly the same cost. ... Still trying to figure out how they actually compare in brightness.