Forum

Author Topic: Mavic Pro or Phantom 3 Pro  (Read 2195 times)

Bene

• View Profile
Mavic Pro or Phantom 3 Pro
« on: February 26, 2018, 03:17:02 PM »
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a drone for photogrammetry. In that way, considering my budget, I am between Mavic Pro and Phantom 3 Pro. I know that the Mavic is designed to be a portable UAV, but I want to know from you experts. What is the best drone for photogrammetry?

Are there too much difference between that models?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
B

SAV

• View Profile
Re: Mavic Pro or Phantom 3 Pro
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 03:15:26 AM »
Hi Bene,

Get a Phantom 4 Pro because it's camera has a mechanical shutter. This means that there are no rolling shutter issues which could influence the quality of your photogrammetric modelling results. Moreover, the Phantom 4 Pro has a much better camera. A big 1 inch sensor, which has a better signal to noise ratio compared to smaller sensors and therefore delivers better imagery. Better images, better photogrammtric modelling results  ;)

Regarding Mavic Pro. There might be a new Mavic Pro II coming out (soon?). See here: http://dronereviewsandnews.com/update-more-details-on-dji-mavic-pro-ii/

Regards,
SAV

Bene

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 03:44:03 PM »
Thanks SAV for your kindly reply.

Unfortunately the Phantom 4 Pro is out of my current budget. But I have looked for Phantom 4 ADVANCED and found good prices. For my needs in photogrammetry do you think that there are too many differences between P4P and P4ADV?

I saw that the only difference is in the sensors, but don't know about the camera quality.

Thank you one more time.

All the best,
B

SAV

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 11:11:10 AM »
Hi Bene,

Phantom 4 Advanced is great too because it has the same camera as the Phantom 4 Pro, just less of the fancy obstacle avoidance capabilities. The Phantom 4 Advanced only has forward and downwards obstacle avoidance, unlike the Pro version which also has backwards and side obstacle avoidance.

Note that obstacle avoidance is not necessary to achieve great photogrammetric modelling results  ;D

All the best.

Regards,
SAV