Forum

Author Topic: Generating Mesh - 10% Stuck  (Read 19158 times)

papado170404

• View Profile
Generating Mesh - 10% Stuck
« on: November 24, 2012, 01:37:48 PM »
I experience a problem lately with the models I am trying to produce. In Building geometry mode the processing always stops (or seems to stop at 10%). However, in Task Manager Ram is working in full. It is rather strange because by model only consists of 170 images and I am running it in i7 processor, 32Ram, NVidia GeForce GTX550 Ti. I have done much more complicated scenes in the same computer and although sometimes was stuck at 10%, when I was restarting the job most of the times it was completed in a reasonable period of time for such a dataset. I am now running it for about 60hours and is stuck at 10% for 56 hours. Any help?

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Re: Generating Mesh - 10% Stuck
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 04:19:13 PM »
simple question, 170 photos, 32 GB ram, and what reconstruction quality is set ? if LOW,MEDIUM OK, with HIGH problematic, with ULTRA unpossible on 32 GB RAM..... what type of scene is it ? landscape-GIS or somethink othjer ??
----------------
www.mhb.sk

papado170404

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 07:22:25 PM »
Hello,

The quality is high and the scene is a building about 5 X 5 metres. The thing is that I have done much more complicated scenes with the same settings with more than 250 images. It took a lot of time, but I got a nice result. Also, for the scene that I am rendering now, the point cloud was quite clear with a very little noise around (I don't know if this counts or not ?!). At the beginning I managed to have for the same scene the geometry build in about 5 hours, but because of a problem with the files, I decided to do it from scratch. Since then, I haven;t managed to get a result, although I have gradually decreased faces from 1.000.000 to 500.000.

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 07:57:44 PM »
Can send me scene without images, just aligned one on muzeumhb@gmail.com

on medium it work for you ?? could you process it ??
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Walter Volkmann

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 05:22:33 PM »
I have exactly the same problem. Funny thing is that while available memory is being used to near 100% levels, CPU runs at nearly zero capacity. I have recently installed a GEFORCE GTX 660 Ti card.   And not being able to to interrupt the mesh generating process forces me to end the program from Task Manager and thus I don't get the opportunity to save the log file. Any help to overcome this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 05:24:49 PM »
Hello Walter,

If the memory usage is about 100% and CPU is not, it's likely that process has gone to swap.

Could you specify the reconstruction parameters used and RAM available on your computer?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Walter Volkmann

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 06:07:46 PM »
Hi Alexey,

Thanks for the quick response.

I have 24GB of RAM.

I use Arbitrary for Object Type, High for Target Quality, Smooth for Geometry Type, 0, 0 and 5 for the remaining parameters.

I should add that I am using a combination of vertical and oblique photographs in this project.

Best regards,

Walter

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 06:26:02 PM »
Hello Walter,

Arbitrary + High method is very demanding for memory. You can check the approximate requirements on Wiki pages: http://www.agisoft.ru/wiki/PhotoScan/Tips_and_Tricks#Memory_Requirements
But even processing 100 images in this case can exceed the limit of 24 GB.

So we could recommend to use Height Field method in case the scene is not very complicated to use Z(X,Y) approximation or install additional RAM modules to computer, but please note that even 96 GB may not be enough for processing hundreds of images in Arbitrary + High.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Walter Volkmann

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 07:17:28 PM »
Thanks Alexey!

RalfH

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 07:24:04 PM »
Hello Walter,

if you don't need the meshed model but could work with the dense point cloud instead, there is "File" > "Export points" which will compute and export a dense point cloud without creating the mesh. This needs much less RAM and processing power.

Walter Volkmann

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 04:59:24 PM »
Hi Ralf,

Thanks for the hint. Will it export a dense point cloud without having first completed the "Build Geometry" step in the workflow?

RalfH

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 05:29:50 PM »
Walter,

the way this works is that it actually computes the dense point cloud, so you don't have to "build geometry" first. It just does the first steps of "build geometry": create depth maps, create dense point cloud. And then it saves the dense point cloud. In "build geometry", on the other hand, the dense point cloud is not saved but only used as an in-between step to create the meshed model. And the meshing is what needs so much RAM.

Diego ROn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 07:56:11 PM »
Hi,

I've got a similar problem, 200 photos chunk (18 mpx)

i7 3860

32 gb ram

pny quadro 4000

It remains stuk on 14% on geometry building arbitrary medium......

any suggestion? should I work the cluod with other software?

thanks,

Diego