Forum

Author Topic: 'Shell' surfaces - 3D Printing  (Read 7697 times)

papado170404

• View Profile
'Shell' surfaces - 3D Printing
« on: November 25, 2012, 07:28:16 PM »
Hello,

I am interested in 3D printing the results of Photoscan. If it is an artefact, then it is fine, since the model has some thickness. On the other hand, If the photographed scene is only a surface (e.g. the facade of a building), Photscan produces only a surface model with 0 thickness, which obviously cannot be 3D printed. Is there any way from within photoscan to overcome the issue of surface production with 0 thickness?

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Re: 'Shell' surfaces - 3D Printing
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 07:45:32 PM »
No, only inexternal app can edit it, or if you sw can eventuely do. In MAGICS 15 - the Z-CORP 3D printer it was easy to set proper thikness of the "WALL" or plane and so it could be outprinted.... What type of 3D printer you have ??
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Infinite

• View Profile
Re: 'Shell' surfaces - 3D Printing
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
Hello,

I am interested in 3D printing the results of Photoscan. If it is an artefact, then it is fine, since the model has some thickness. On the other hand, If the photographed scene is only a surface (e.g. the facade of a building), Photscan produces only a surface model with 0 thickness, which obviously cannot be 3D printed. Is there any way from within photoscan to overcome the issue of surface production with 0 thickness?

You might find this post on ZBC useful

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?173664-From-a-ZBrush-model-to-a-wood-sculpture&p=987009&viewfull=1#post987009

Specifically the application "Magics RP" to define a wall-thickness and perforate the scans.