Forum

Author Topic: Image Stabilization and Photoscan?  (Read 3076 times)

kirk

• View Profile
Image Stabilization and Photoscan?
« on: April 08, 2018, 11:08:56 PM »
Wonder should I use    Image stabilization?  Lense or in camera one?   I mean without a tripod. 

What's preferable with dim lighting conditions:    Higher iso values  or image stabilization+ 1/15 sec? 

How it works with roll shutter?   

Is Image stabilization a problem at all?  I read somewhere it's not very good for photogrammetry.

SAV

• View Profile
Re: Image Stabilization and Photoscan?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 10:09:59 AM »
Hi kirk,

Image stabilisation can cause issues with the camera calibration that is performed in PhotoScan Pro (and also other photogrammetry software packages), hence camera and lenses with such features should be avoided.

If you can, use additional lights to improve lighting conditions (e.g., I have used LED panels for a few projects, which worked really well).

Because image stabilisation is not recommended, you'll probably have to bump up your ISO. Modern cameras, however, don't produce much noise even at higher ISO values, hence you should be ok.

Instead of a tripod, try to use a monopod. It is easier to move around and to set up, and it helps you to stabilize your camera in order to get sharp imagery.

All the best.

Regards,
SAV

kirk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 08:48:36 PM »
Found in this book:

https://books.google.ru/books?id=_f7oBQAAQBAJ&pg=PA188&lpg=PA188&dq=image+stabilisation+for+photogrammetry&source=bl&ots=TZ20SsaF5r&sig=YjHtTi2du7NqNvONGzl-1UN9BWQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwid8_nKlKPaAhXpCJoKHWCpAiUQ6AEIdTAH#v=onepage&q=image%20stabilisation&f=false

"Geometric changes due to Image stabilization can only be accommodated by use of Image-variant camera calibration"

Doesn't Photoscan do  such kind of a calibration?   I read somewhere you need to split calibration groups into each own  per an image ?   Although I've  never noticed a difference personally.

Wonder if Image Stablisation is what to blame for pretty poor and errors infested geometry I got with Mavic Pro drone while it does perfectly crisp DNGs?

Some people say they get perfectly ok result with Stabilization.  I personally can't answer it myself    but I have pretty old stabilization in my Oly camera.   Maybe with a newer models it's ok?

n@sk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 07:09:38 AM »
Hi kirk

I agree with SAV
there is no simple answer here, as the question is "what is less bad for my unique project in some unknown lighting conditions in combination with whatever it is that happens to my lens or sensor during image stabilisation".

Photoscan does what you described. Note, however, that it will do it even if the images were not "stabilised", which means that the corresponding camera model, instead of the camera position/rotation, will be forced to variably absorb errors.

"Perfectly ok" sounds fine to me, and might indeed be the case, but means nothing to a customer :)

regards