Forum

Author Topic: Average vs. Mosaic texture map  (Read 2743 times)

GeoffKornfeld

• View Profile
Average vs. Mosaic texture map
« on: May 05, 2018, 10:58:45 PM »
I'm curious why Mosaic is the default with texture map creation. Lately I've been finding that Average gives a much better result. Mosaic looks to me like there is a blurred copy of the final image blended on top of it. Are there any other settings that might make the map come out even better?

Smallpoly

• View Profile
Re: Average vs. Mosaic texture map
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 03:02:14 AM »
Mosiac attempts to pick the sharpest photo(s) for each face or set of faces to give the sharpest and most accurate result. Average does a nice job but tends to be softer.

If I'm not mistaken, the main requirement for getting good results with mosiac is to always have the focal point be in the center of the image, and to be careful to discard anything that's out of focus so it doesn't get picked for the texture.

I don't care for the sharpening artifacts on Mosiac either, though I'm really thankful for the new ghosting filter.

James

• View Profile
Re: Average vs. Mosaic texture map
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 03:54:02 PM »
More info about the difference between mosaic and average:

http://www.agisoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=3140.msg16601#msg16601

Mosaic – images are decomposed into high frequency and low frequency components. A weighted average is calculated separately for low frequency and high frequency components (with different weights), which are subsequently combined back into final image.
Average – simple weighted average of overlapping image colors.