Forum

Author Topic: Do I have to have a floating license if I want to run agisoft in the cloud?  (Read 3112 times)

nevermind

• View Profile
I want to be able to able launch an ec2 instance based on the size of the job and run agisoft. For smaller jobs I want smaller servers for larger jobs I want more processing and RAM.

Do I have to have a floating license for this or can I just use a regular license and just set up when the machine boots?

SAV

• View Profile
Hi nevermind,

A regular license should work fine. Just make sure to activate/deactivate it inside PhotoScan (HELP > ACTIVATE PRODUCT...).

All the best.

Regards,
SAV

nevermind

• View Profile
So what's the purpose of the floating license?

SAV

• View Profile
Hi Nevermind,

Here are the details/differences:

Stand-Alone License
Stand-Alone license is a rehostable node-locked license, i.e. one license allows to activate the program at one machine only, however, the license can be transferred to a different computer if needed. Stand-Alone license allows to use PhotoScan software in all kinds of paid and unpaid projects. The license is available both to individuals and legal entities, such as companies, firms, museums, reseach institutions, governmental institutions, etc.

Floating License
Floating license allows to install the program on as many computers as desired and run it, at any one time, on as many systems as the number of licenses purchased indicates. One computing machine shall be designated as the “license server”; the license server utility installed on it will manage license distribution across the network of computers where the program has been installed. Floating license is available for Agisoft PhotoScan Professional Edition only.

Regards,
SAV

nevermind

• View Profile
If the license can be rehosted than for all practical purposes it's "floating" except for the inconvenience.  The floating license costs significantly more than the standard license so I was curious what else you get with it.

Dave Martin

• View Profile
nevermind,

As described in SAV's quote, the floating license server hosts a pool of 'n' licenses, which individual machines can book-out locally. The standalone is a single machine licence.