Forum

Author Topic: Minimum system requirements  (Read 5296 times)

swift

• View Profile
Minimum system requirements
« on: June 05, 2018, 11:09:45 AM »
I'm interested in buying PhotoScan for the purposes of making some models of teeth. Others have shown me the process for doing this and it seems fairly straightforward to make a nice model with about 40-50 photographs.
My hesitation is that my laptop only has a 2.2GHz Intel core i7 processor and I only have 8GB of RAM. My processor is below the recommended system requirements from AgiSoft. I don't mind if processing time is a little slower, but would be less keen if it is so slow to the point of basically being unworkable.
Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but would appreciate any advice or opinions on this. Thanks in advance.

Alvaro L

• View Profile
Re: Minimum system requirements
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 11:40:30 AM »
Hi

I am in the very same situation with more or less the same specs, and I see that to take photoscan to higher levels of accuraccy indeed you (and me) would need more processing power. However, I see in this forum that photoscan will eat whatever you throw at it with above than average work specs.

In my case, I will upgrade RAM but also operating systems and linux swap partition will run on a top notch SDD disk in case there is RAM memory pagination. Also a good CUDA card is very important, I have already one but will upgrade as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 11:44:21 AM by Alvaro L »

SAV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 11:30:40 AM »
Hi swift,

Note that the GPU (graphics card) has a big influence on the processing time. Many laptops don't have a dedicated graphics card, which is not great when using PhotoScan.

I suggest to do a test before buying a full license. Get a 30-day free trial license here (gives you full functionality).
http://www.agisoft.com/downloads/request-trial/

If you are happy with the processing speed on your old laptop, then buy the full license. Note that by lowering the quality settings you can adjust/improve the processing time even on older hardware (but you'll end up with a less detailled/accurate model).

All the best.

Regards,
SAV

outsider

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 03:26:17 AM »
In my case, I will upgrade RAM but also operating systems and linux swap partition will run on a top notch SDD disk in case there is RAM memory pagination.
Strongly recommend against planning to use the swap file when ram gets full.
Even with the fastest SSD, the software slows down dramatically!

I would rather turn off the swap file so the program can tell you it doesn't have enough ram. At which point you can split up the prject into chunks, to reduce the amount of memory required.