Forum

Author Topic: Lighting a room for shooting  (Read 3977 times)

tomp

• View Profile
Lighting a room for shooting
« on: January 03, 2013, 01:30:18 AM »
Hello all,

I would like to have your opinion on this :
I'd like to shoot a person in a room, without a turntable set ( without requiring her to move).
So I will turn around  her and shoot from different points of view.

My camera will be set to 100 (or 200) ISO, shutter 1/125, aperture 2.8 (26mm).
Those parameters work fine for an outdoor shooting, with enough light, but it's obviously not enough for an indoor situation..( I measured the light with a light meter, and it was approx 1700Lux that day)

I need 100/200 ISO in order to get a good quality, a fast shutter speed as I'll move around quickly (and don't want some blur), and 2.8 is the maximum I can get from my camera.

I'd like to know how I can create a good ambiant lighting for the room.

Shall I try to put a led ring on the camera ? Will photoscan be abble to interpret the object correctly (because the lighting won't be exactly the same on each photo)  ?
Shall I get some LED of some CFL ?

Is it better to buy a few powerful one, or a lot of small ones ?

What is the best way to go ?

Thanks

FoodMan

• View Profile
Re: Lighting a room for shooting
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 09:17:58 AM »
well it all depend on your budget... for Large rooms HMI balloons are best bet...

You can also find a quiet place outside, cloudy day... and voila..

h/

RalfH

• View Profile
Re: Lighting a room for shooting
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 11:46:42 AM »
Changes in lighting from image to image are never a good idea if you want to use struture from motion approaches. They might work, in particular if the illumination changes are not too large, but they make 3D reconstruction difficult. If you really have no other choice, at least avoid creating any shadows. A workable indoor solution would be a number of studio lights or synchronized flashes with diffusors.