Forum

Author Topic: Will there be any benefit from upgrading CPUs?  (Read 2436 times)

BigCapitalist

• View Profile
Will there be any benefit from upgrading CPUs?
« on: June 07, 2018, 11:24:38 PM »
I have an i5 6600k 4 core 4.5ghz CPU, would there be any benefit upgrading to an AMD Ryzen 2700X?

Does Photoscan care more about speed or threads and cores?

If Photoscan does care more about speed then the newest i7 would be better at 5ghz, but i'd rather move to AMD for a number of reasons.

SAV

• View Profile
Re: Will there be any benefit from upgrading CPUs?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 05:32:29 AM »
Hi BigCapitalist,

Yes, you should definitely see an improvement moving from 4 cores/8 threads (i5) to 8 cores/16 threads (Ryzen).

PhotoScan cares about both, the number of cores/threads and their speed.

Note that upgrading to a dual GPU setup might actually have a higher impact on your overall processing time than upgrading your CPU. This is because the most time-consuming processing steps such as BUILD DENSE CLOUD rely on GPU power.

All the best.

Regards,
SAV

ArnauCM

• View Profile
Re: Will there be any benefit from upgrading CPUs?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 05:19:26 PM »
Hi BigCapitalist,

Maybe you are also interested in this article from Puget Systems about AgiSoft and CPU Performance.

Even though you can see improvements rising both clock speed and threads, at the end of the day, higher clock speeds turn into shorter processing times. In fact, you can see in the article how an AMD Threadripper 1950X with 32 threads is almost always beaten by, for example, an i9-7900X with "just" 20 threads but higher clock speeds.

Also, take @SAV 's advice into account. Sometimes, if you are in a budget, it will be better to buy a second GPU rather than spending $1K in a new CPU.

I hope you have now a bit more information to make a better decision. :)

Best,

ArnauCM