Forum

Author Topic: Workstation for Hire - 256 GB RAM dual 8core @2,7 GHz  (Read 54389 times)

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Workstation for Hire - 256 GB RAM dual 8core @2,7 GHz
« on: January 04, 2013, 02:18:22 AM »
Hello all

Our  nonprofit organization invested in workstation with Dual XEON E5-2680 @2,7 GHz with 256 GB RAM that will be expanded to 384 GB over this year ( up to 768 with 32 GB Modules if prices go down ) and with ATI 7970 video card. This system will be upgraded to 4 GPUs (7970s)  later this year too.

Our goal is to support you with your BIG projects for hourly price 10 USD or 7,60 EUR, where will be calculated only for the reconstruction process, so handling with data and etc. are for free. Best way is to put the files somewhere, like DROPBOX or other filesharing site, but think on that, its wery slow on free sites and we will not pay for the premium accounts. Here is possibility to send the data over classical post as few mentioned it before as option.

Speed...... its hard to say on most projects how long it takes to reconstruct, but over the year im will update some statistic on processed projects.

2nd goal is to help people without the knowledge of the Pscan to learn them very efficient and fast way. So you get our best knowledge how to deal with yours problematic projects. I’m will start another thread about this, with more details. For students we have special price ( 0,0 USD/EUR ) on processing and buying licenses( Discount 10 % ). But we will need proof from your school, some info on project that will be processed.

Our goal is to process data only for the ones with license of Pscan, there will be possible even without it, but for higher price ( GIS application will be calculated on the area of reconstruction –info on request )   
----------------
www.mhb.sk

ju523m

Re: Workstation for Hire - 256 GB RAM dual 8core @2,7 GHz
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 06:16:48 PM »
Hi all,

i would like to ask kindly, if this forum is going to become a marketplace for increased and unfair cut-throat competition in the field of data processing?

Cheers

RalfH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 07:12:05 PM »
i would like to ask kindly, if this forum is going to become a marketplace for increased and unfair cut-throat competition in the field of data processing?

Hello ju523m,

it is one thing to ask whether such a forum should/could, besides discussing technical questions, also be used as some sort of "marketplace". It is quite another thing to call the two offers posted here "unfair cut-throat competition", in particular when one of them is made by a non-profit organisation. (Just to make sure you don't think I have a biased view: I am in no way connected to any of them)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 07:27:32 PM by RalfH »

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 07:51:38 PM »
Hello Ju523m and others

Competition were if im set lower price on processing, but its the "same" price as the first one, even we have pricey and faster hardware and it will be even faster this year. Our goal is to support people with its projects, helping to shoot it better, learning them from our/my knowlege and process their project that they cannot proces home. For people that have one-two BIG projects in year for them is it unpractice to buy workstation like this ( price around 12.000 USD in europe aprox 12.000 EUR ).

We will support students ( already processing ) wuth their work, can give suggestions, how to process it and few more things.......

Personaly have used the first one solution that helped me to choose the right hardware for our projects ( we will need up to 512 GB RAM ) and next year we wil eventuely buy 8 socket system if the net version is not ready ( we get ubelievable price cuts for our ws, because what we do, we support rebuilding ruined castles in our country and my friends give me a big discount on it )

And if it start to be a competition, then people here get most from it = lower prices.......
----------------
www.mhb.sk

ju523m

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 11:01:48 PM »
Hi Wishgranter and others,

can you please explain:

On one hand www.mhb.sk is described as a non-profit organisation,
on the other hand www.mhb.sk is listed as reseller of Photoscan and therewith acting as trader on behalf of a commercial profit-oriented company - Agisoft.

That is a bit confusing isn't it?

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 11:10:18 PM by ju523m »

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 11:16:04 PM »
In our contry is possible to be nonprofit and work like normal company, but all what we manage to earn CAN and MUST be used for our main goal in ARTICLES. But we are still Nonprofit..... 

See here, its litlle outdatet, but we have changed just few thing in other pats of the articles......   https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15047343/Articles%20of%20MHB%20-%20march%202011%20first%20page_EN.pdf
----------------
www.mhb.sk

ju523m

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 12:04:26 AM »
Hi Wishgranter,

thanks for the link.  Am I right, when I assume, that your non-profit organisation is mainly funded by governmental or administrative institutions in Slovakia?

Cheers

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 12:46:52 AM »
Yes, we get registered on Home office ( Ministry of internal affairs eventuely translated ), so they see if we are eglible with our articles, our goals adn then we get "license"......

So founder are group of peole ( at least 3 people ) , but the corresponding ministry must approve us and we get our status as Nonprofit org with all stuff around it.....

----------------
www.mhb.sk

George

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 02:23:33 PM »
Hi Wishgranter!
Interesting stuff tho.
What is the average time of postprocessing that you have achieved with that equipment?
Say .. for an average project of 1000 images or, let's say, 150-200 ha?
George

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 02:29:23 PM »
Hello George, hard to say, its need testing, as im process more stuff like this im can get some statistical data and will be able to say more on this. If want, just share dataset, im will process it, for free if no results will be send back. Dont forget to send reconstruction paramaters..... 
----------------
www.mhb.sk

George

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 02:46:44 PM »
good idea! I will think about sending one ...
Meanwhile, what about GCP? That is a real hard job to do? Otherwise the question is what is the reference of the model reconstructed? I mean in case of comparing with DTM etc.?

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 02:55:39 PM »
We ahve the PRO version so if you include GCPs we can process it, jsut send precise info what to set on the GCPs in pscan. Eventuely can send aligned scene, you add GCPs and then we will process it......
----------------
www.mhb.sk

N.Purple

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 12:37:38 PM »
So just to get this straight, Wishgranter: When you hired us to process data for you, you were actually gauging our pricing structure, speed, methodology, and other specs just so you could "compete" on the same forum with an almost identical sticky post? http://www.agisoft.ru/forum/index.php?topic=650.0

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 01:19:20 PM »
N. Purple, im set the price as you, and that JUST because im not want go down and create competition, im set i so that if one of us is overloaded or with long reconstruction front that the other can help clients and not steal clients.....

My personal digging intro prices of it, show that could bring price much much lower as are now, and my idea was for repeating customers bring discounts up to 75 %.. My idea is to HELP people with big projects because still is not ready NET reconstruction. Im personaly have pointed AGISOFT team how to solve it in elegant way, so sooner or later our WS will be not necessary ( few months ) then..... If there were not NET reconstruction in sight, im would buy 4 or 8 socket system.

Agisoft helped me reconstruct few of my models on ULTRA for free, to get better understanding to my workflow and correcting it, so i pay it back for them with help to others become better and better and use Pscan to its limits......

My idea is to give people some advice on workflows on it own datasets, what actually doing already.....  And therefore then, users can use Pscan with much better worflows, because im pointing how to shoot ( lower amount ) images, and few other magic......

And as have pointed out, STUDENTS ( Their schools too) get little lower price on Pscan, so they get training for better workflow and results just from start just because im like it when cutting edge technology is used in real work on right places. Mostly processing archeological stuff so when they have results, other get it intro content of research in cultural heritage and can benefit from it.......   

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:30:00 PM by Wishgranter »
----------------
www.mhb.sk

RalfH

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 02:50:28 PM »
After following these discussions for a while: correct me if I'm wrong, but I never understood these two posts as commercial or competition, but as a help for people who may have a small number of relatively large 3D reconstruction projects for which they can't afford the expensive hardware. The money that is involved - that can only be a small hel in re-financing the hardware investment. I don't think anyone could make a living for that price anyway.

Thinking about it a bit more, one of the offers was made by someone who has tremendously contributed to this forum, always trying to help people to get the most out of this software. If I had to choose which offer to use...