Forum

Author Topic: identifying bad photos (blur in texture)  (Read 4195 times)

HelloJens

• View Profile
identifying bad photos (blur in texture)
« on: June 15, 2018, 02:51:16 PM »
Hello forum community,

lovely to join you. I've started working with photoscan a couple of months back and am really enjoying its capabilities so far.

To only bottleneck that seems to be recurring is that often when generating textures my objects tend to have blurry patches here and there. Sometimes those errors are minute, other times however they are very visible.

I've worked a lot with masking and that has in most cases be able to fix those issues. What is bugging me though, is to precisely identify the images that are causing the trouble.

Ideally I want to go through and mask hundreds of pictures as it is pretty time consuming.

I'd like to ask about the Filter Photos by pint, selection etc. features. Currently I am facing an issue, where when I select some relevant faces in a blurry area and then choose Filter by selection, that the results do not make sense to me.

Three pictures are selected. Two are on the opposing side of the model (I've checked that I've not accidentally selected faces on the other side of my model and this is not the case) and therfore cannot be the source of the texture at all and the other one is sharp image with very high resolution. 

In other cases I seem to have to selct vast amount of polys to even make the filter by selection option available and sometimes I can't select it at all, even though I've got a significant area of my model selected.

I'd very much appreciate any help regarging how to best identify troublemaker pictures.

James

• View Profile
Re: identifying bad photos (blur in texture)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 02:41:58 PM »
"filter by point" will only show photos including the precise point where you right clicked the mouse to choose "filter by point"

"filter by selection" will only show photos that were selected when you chose "filter by selection", regardless of where or what you right clicked.

"filter by selection" has been renamed to "filter by cameras" in 1.4.2 (and possibly some older versions).

"filter by points" will only show cameras containing the selected sparse cloud tie points, and in the latest version(s) has been renamed to "filter by tie points" and is only available in the sparse cloud mode.

I think!

HelloJens

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 04:02:17 PM »
Hi James,

thanks for getting back to me. I've had a look in the manual / forums. My point is that for example 'filter by selection' does not seem to work propery for me.

If Anyone with a advice if this selection mode can indeed be used to identify 'bad images' or anyone who could share their experiences identifying pics that cause blury patched would like to share it'll be much appreciated
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 04:05:04 PM by HelloJens »

HelloJens

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 04:15:01 PM »
I've been running into more trouble with blurry textures and did some tests with the masking process.

Unfortunately it looks like photoscan is not really taking my masks into account properly

For the test I disabled all but two cameras to create a test texture. The pictures are both shot from similar angles. One has the focal point on top of the object, while the other has the focal point at its bottom.

Both pics were masked in order to tell photoscan to discard blurry areas and only use the sharp ones as far as texture generation is concerned.

In the last picture we see the result, and most of the result is blurry, altough those areas are clearly masked.

I'd very much like to understand why this is happening. If anyone from support or the forum could point me towards what I am missing, or what could be the source of my problem, that would be great.

I'm using photoscan 1.4.2

texture resolution is 8k
using mosaic & keep uv
mesh is a cleaned and re uved low poly version with about 50k polys. The erros occur on the high poly version with roughly 13mil polyes as well though.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 04:16:33 PM by HelloJens »

James

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 01:04:13 PM »
Hi James,

thanks for getting back to me. I've had a look in the manual / forums. My point is that for example 'filter by selection' does not seem to work propery for me.

If Anyone with a advice if this selection mode can indeed be used to identify 'bad images' or anyone who could share their experiences identifying pics that cause blury patched would like to share it'll be much appreciated

If you're using 1.4.2 then the only option to 'filter by selection' that i am aware of applies only to mesh and dense cloud, and only affects the parts of mesh/dense cloud that you can see in the viewport, so could not be much use in directly identifying bad images.

In your subsequent post it seems that photoscan is doing the opposite of what it should with masks. The masks don't look like they could have been made in photoscan, so maybe something went wrong during import. I would suggest trying to recreate them within photoscan, just approximately as a quick test, to see if the problem still exists.

HelloJens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 07:40:19 PM »
Hi James,

thanks for your input. Yes the masks are not made in Photoscan. We draw then in Photoshop and export out a png.

I'll definitely try what you suggested. However I kept a close eye on the console when importing the masks and there were no errors at all so it'll be pretty annoying if now they don't work.

I've actually come to the point where I am not masking anymore. Instead I am creating multiple textures for which I am defining non blurry images. Those textures then get blended together in another application to create the final texture without blurry patches. I found this to be more reliable and less time consuming opposed to sifting through hundreds of photos masking them and then finding that something is buggy.