Forum

Author Topic: Bumpy scans  (Read 3841 times)

treddie

• View Profile
Bumpy scans
« on: June 26, 2018, 01:07:47 AM »
Hello.

I am new to Photoscan and one major problem I cannot find a solution to is bumpy surfaces that should be smooth (please see attached image).  What is causing this?  I am working with the output from a scan booth with 147 cameras, or my pro camera outdoors taking images of things like vehicles.  Everything comes out bumpy, and often times parts of the subject just don't get interpreted even though there are plenty of images covering an area.  for instance, one shoe may be fine, the other is missing most of the outer side.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Bumpy scans
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 05:09:04 PM »
Hello treddie,

Which processing parameters you are using at each step?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

treddie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 11:23:51 PM »
Align Photos:
  -Medium
  -Generic Preselection Off
  -Adaptive Camera Off

Build Dense Cloud:
  -Ultra High
  -Moderate
  -Calculate Point Colors On

Build Mesh:
  -All defaults except face count = 7,000,000

Build Texture:
  -Generic
  -Mosaic
  -8192 x 1
  -Enable hole filling
  -Enable ghosting

treddie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 12:51:57 AM »
I forgot to mention, I am using Photoscan Standard.

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 05:00:19 PM »
Hello treddie,

I can suggest to use the High accuracy when aligning the cameras and optimize the alignment using all parameters except K4, P3 and P4 (unless any of them are already suggested for optimization by default) - do it before building the dense cloud.

As an alternative to dense cloud -> mesh generation you can use experimental visibility consistent mesh generation option (should be enabled in the Advanced preferences tab) and later use Refine Mesh option from Tools Menu.

Let me know, if higher accuracy of the alignment results in better result. Also specify the camera models that are used in the rig.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

treddie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 12:30:21 AM »
I tried your settings but still have the same problem.  I do not have the Experimental Visibility approach, so I assume that is only available in the Pro version.

We are basically working with a scanner that has tiny cameras hooked up to Rasberry Pi computer boards.  I thought that maybe the problems were originating there and that the lens qualities were not good enough and that EXIF data was being discarded.  However, I have tried taking an image set of static objects with my handheld Canon camera, so the EXIF data should be available, and I am using a good lens.

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 03:47:13 PM »
Hello treddie,

The experimental meshing feature should be available in the latest Standard edition version as well.

Is it possible to share the alignment results in PSZ project file and the source images related to the project, so that we could test it on our side? If so, please send the link to download the data to support@agisoft.com.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 09:52:11 PM »
Hello treddie,

I've checked the provided image set, and it looks like the quality of the images is not sufficient to get a detailed model on Ultra quality.

But you can try to smooth mesh a bit and then use Refine mesh operation to improve the sharpness of the model based on the image content. I'm attaching the screenshot for the same area after this operation.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

treddie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 11:38:32 PM »
Hi Alexey.  Thank you for your response.

We have been very busy so I was not able to get back until now.  Per your request, I have uploaded the psz file into the Dropbox folder. 

At any rate, you mention that the images do not have sufficient quality.  Can you describe exactly why this is the case?

Best regards,
Tom Reddie