Forum

Author Topic: Importing dense cloud  (Read 3757 times)

Paulo

• View Profile
Importing dense cloud
« on: July 03, 2018, 12:36:03 AM »
Hello,

I am importing a LAZ dense cloud into PS 1.4.2 and the process imports the 360 Million points in about 25 min but then  it switches to Calculating normals ….  and this part has been running for an hour without much progress….

Why is it so time consuming?

I am running on a i7-3630QM CPU with 16 GB of Ram

Any help is appreciated...

Is is now running for more than 8 hours and Calculating normals… is stuck at 99%

Will it ever conclude?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 10:25:22 AM by Paulo »
Best Regards,
Paul Pelletier,
Surveyor

xyz_rgb

• View Profile
Re: Importing dense cloud
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 12:03:26 PM »
please the details laz data that you process in software.
same with me, im gonna input las data - as a point cloud not mesh or model data in agisoft.
process alignment in realitycapture export pointcloud.xyz & pointcloud.xyzrgb

Paulo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 11:15:35 PM »
I will explain my workflow….

1. I generate a dense cloud in PS but by lack of proper editing tools inside PS (like set Z value for selected points, delete points with Z below some input value),

2.  I export the dense cloud as Laz format and do editing of water points inside of Global mapper

3. I reexport the edited file to Laz

4. I import points into PS using Laz format

The problem is the huge time it takes to Calculate normals inside the import Points function….(more than 10 hours for a 360 million point cloud).

Would be great if this could be speeded up and also some basic editing of Z value for points in dense cloud would be awesome in PS….

Also I note that after importing Laz into PS, I get an extra class in cloud. Originally, I had 3 classes ( never classified, terrain and water). But after import I get a class with black color….see attachment
Best Regards,
Paul Pelletier,
Surveyor

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 03:10:58 PM »
Hello Paul,

The "black" colored points could be points with the inverted normals. You can switch to the TopXY view, select the points that include the problematic points and then use Invert Point Normals option from the Tools Menu -> Dense Cloud section (I suggest to use flag "invert opposite normals only" in order to keep correctly oriented normals).
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Paulo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 06:13:27 PM »
Thank you Alexey,

it did the trick!
Best Regards,
Paul Pelletier,
Surveyor