Forum

Author Topic: Ram usage on Orthomosiac stage  (Read 2010 times)

Fkybarless

• View Profile
Ram usage on Orthomosiac stage
« on: July 04, 2018, 08:54:41 PM »
Hello,

I am about to process more than 50,000 photos of 51 mega-pixels for each photo.

What is the ram requirement for a single chunk orthomosiac job?

I read the PDF in the manual, but it does not mention what happens on the last stage (orthomosiac) regarding RAM usage.

And, I wish to know if any has changed on the last versions of Photoscan regarding RAM usage.

Thank you.

Pholeos8

• View Profile
Re: Ram usage on Orthomosiac stage
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 08:54:38 PM »
Fkybarless:  I don't know the specific answer to your question, but I suggest you read my posts in this thread:  http://www.agisoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=8948.msg43210#msg43210

I have never tried a project with that many photos at that high of a resolution.  I'm curious to know your results.

Regarding the RAM usage, I have had processing jobs crash with many fewer photos when using the Ultrahigh Dense Cloud setting, even though I have 128 GB of installed RAM.  Increasing the Page File size solved that problem.  But, I have never tried as many photos as you have. 

Good luck!

Fkybarless

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 09:59:49 PM »
Thank you for your prompt reply. (I replied on your older post by mistake - sorry!)

Are you referring only to the dense cloud stage?

I was talking more about the Orthomosiac (final stage) stage.

Your solution looks creative and interesting, and will probably work best on SSD.

rossnixon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 05:16:09 AM »
Before you get to the orthomosaic stage, you would have to build a mesh though. At an estimate, in your case you'd need about 800GB for that step. I base that on a Medium Quality model with 10,000 photos of 12 Mpx requiring 40GB.

stihl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 11:00:19 AM »
Before you get to the orthomosaic stage, you would have to build a mesh though. At an estimate, in your case you'd need about 800GB for that step. I base that on a Medium Quality model with 10,000 photos of 12 Mpx requiring 40GB.
Seeing as the topic starter mentioned he wants help with processing a orthomosaic chunk this is not really relevant.

After all you only need a surface of arbitrary resolution to project the images onto to create a orthomosaic. Therefor the amount of polygons in the mesh (or DEM surface) does not matter for creating the orthomosaic.

For instance you can create a lowest quality dense cloud with the minimal amount of point density and then create a surface from that point cloud. This greatly reduces the processing time but a too low point density might give issues in areas with large height variations.