Forum

Author Topic: Using 360° panoramic Pictures in PhotoScan professional  (Read 18062 times)

StadtUlm

• View Profile
Using 360° panoramic Pictures in PhotoScan professional
« on: November 08, 2017, 03:14:59 PM »
Is there a way to use 360° panoramic Pictures (see attached) in PhotoScan Pro
The idea is to have a Picture every 10 meters and calculete a pointcloud

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Using 360° panoramic Pictures in PhotoScan professional
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 04:42:04 PM »
Hello StadtUlm,

You can use spherical panoramas in equirectangular representation in PhotoScan. All you need is to load images, then go to the Tools Menu -> Camera Calibration window and switch the Camera Type from Frame (default) to Spherical for the calibration group that corresponds to the panoramic images.

Then process as usual: Align Photos, Build Dense Cloud and etc.

However, I also suggest to apply the mask (could be the same for all the images) to cover the unused area in the bottom on the images.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Phish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 11:35:04 PM »
Hello StadtUlm,

You can use spherical panoramas in equirectangular representation in PhotoScan. All you need is to load images, then go to the Tools Menu -> Camera Calibration window and switch the Camera Type from Frame (default) to Spherical for the calibration group that corresponds to the panoramic images.

Then process as usual: Align Photos, Build Dense Cloud and etc.

However, I also suggest to apply the mask (could be the same for all the images) to cover the unused area in the bottom on the images.

This sounds interesting. I got a (cheap) Insta360 Air and gonna mount it on a monopod. Thinking of holding that above the head and taking pictures every few meters, should increase the efficiency alot, or? Atleast compared to taking pics side-by-side? Not sure about the processing-time though... don't want to downscale the 3K images or else the corners will loose even more contrast.

I have to rebuild a 3d-representation of a aquarium, I ended up with missing parts too often, so I hope this will work better :)

kaaiinn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 11:41:43 AM »
Hello Phish,

Have been using 360 equirectangular images for a while in photoscan and there are a few things you should take into account.

The photos should be taken using the highest possible quality in the camera - this will obviously give you a lot more tie points and help a lot with alignment.

As suggested by Alexey...

I would recommend masking the bottom part of the images as it would decrease total alignment time and could increase accuracy. I would also recommend masking out the sky if taken outdoors. This is a very simple process if you want to use the same mask in all images - see below.

Hi scr1tch,

Here is the workflow.
1. Generate the mask you want for one single picture in PhotoScan using the SELECTION TOOLS in the main icon bar

2. Then TOOLS > EXPORT > EXPORT MASKS. Save as a single channel mask image.

3. TOOLS > IMPORT > IMPORT MASK. Choose these settings: FROM FILE, REPLACEMENT and APPLY TO ALL CAMERAS. You then have to enter the filename of the mask you stored in step 1, e.g. mask.jpg. Then press OK.

4. A window will pop up asking you to select the FOLDER where the mask.jpg file is stored in. Navigate to that folder an then click the SELECT FOLDER button.

DONE. Your mask should now have been applied to all images. Note that this workflow will apply the same mask to every picture, e.g. very useful to ignore 'overlays' in images.

Regards,
SAV

I also strongly recommend that you take the panoramas close together to increase the overlap. Depending on the size of the area, one 360 panorama every 2 meters should be enough.

CM

screenworks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 02:19:29 AM »
Does this process also work well for image sequences generated from 360 Video? The Kandoa camera generates a depth map as well, I've been trying to figure out how to get the best point cloud from this footage.