Forum

Author Topic: GPU acceleration during Dense Point cloud generation  (Read 491 times)

lloyd709

• View Profile
GPU acceleration during Dense Point cloud generation
« on: October 27, 2018, 05:48:14 PM »
I'm new to photoscan and on my first main go with it I was horrified at the time the dense point cloud was taking to get generated - I had to give up after 6 hours as it said it another 6 hours to go and I had to do something else. 

I noticed though that my GPU (Nvidia 1080ti) wasn't being used at all although I activated it in the preferences.  On closer inspection on the preference to activate it I noticed it says "GPU acceleration is supported for image matching, depth maps generation and mesh refinement".  However, on googling I find a lot of comments saying it's used for dense cloud generation.  Is that only available on the pro version or something or is there a way I can use it?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 05:55:30 PM by lloyd709 »

Mak11

• View Profile
Re: GPU acceleration during Dense Point cloud generation
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 07:37:23 PM »
The GPU is used for camera alignement and Depth Maps génération during the Dense Pont cloud generation (and also during mesh refinement).

Yes generating a Dense cloud in Ultra High settings takes a while if you trow lots of high resolution photos at it at once.

lloyd709

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 07:46:57 PM »
Ah, thanks for the reply.  I only had it set to medium though - I guess it was the 1300 images that slowed it down!! 

Mak11

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 10:56:01 PM »
Well, 1300 images is actually impossible to compute on a "regular" système (i7, 32/64Gb ram etc) . Especially with Photoscan. You should do it in chunks of 80/100 photos.

sflo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 12:43:26 PM »
Hello everybody,

In fact I still don't understand why gpu acceleration is not yet used in the dense cloud generation phase. I very often work on datasets from 1,000 to 20,000 cameras and this phase takes me weeks to compute each. With gpu acceleration it must be very faster. So since years I wonder why photoscan / metashape does not include yet this gpu acceleration ! At least someone to tell us clearly why it is not possible ?

:)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 12:45:28 PM by sflo »