Forum

Author Topic: Samsung NX1000  (Read 103336 times)

rosetti roberto

• View Profile
Re: Samsung NX1000
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2013, 12:33:17 PM »
Dear all,

I'm writting from Italy. I desire to thank you for the good suggests you gave me.
I also tested many different systems (at the moment i'm using Artec with Kinect).
Some time ago i made some tests with Agi and Canon Reflex with good results.
I read the post written by Coadey; i bought a Samsung NX 1000 camera and i built a rotating platform and tomorrow i will make some tests.
I desire to know by Coadey the correct distance between the camera and the subject.
I desire to know this to understand better the space that i will need for doing my test (in this way i will avoid problem of space).
As soon as possible i will post my results.

Best regards and thanks for all.

andy_s

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2013, 02:10:03 AM »
Looking forward to that rosetti.

mala

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2013, 04:28:18 PM »
Just thought I'd add a couple of observations from testing yesterday with the NX1000 and an MCU based controller which is part of a larger project I'm working on.

I managed to get the camera shutter to trigger with just a 5mS pulse...could possibly have worked with a shorter pulse, but 5ms was my default minimum.

In single drive mode my observations were pretty much what Coadey has reported.

In continuous (High) mode, I could get the camera to take full res pics at 8fps for a total of 11 Pics.
The 8fps seems to be not quite a pic every 125mS, there seems to be a tiny variation...I need to do further tests to investigate this fully..

Cheers,
mala

andy_s

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2013, 05:05:21 PM »
Thanks for posting Merry - i'm still watching  8) ;)

andy_s

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2013, 06:07:09 PM »
Wonder where all those January CES announced Samsung smart cameras are currently hiding...

andy_s

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2013, 09:06:01 PM »
I hear the NX2000 & 3000 are now available [in US at least - thanks for info Magnus]. Haven't reviewed a detailed spec though.

mala

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2013, 05:48:55 PM »
Some info on the NX2000...don't think its actually available for a while though.

http://www.samsung.com/us/news/20767

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/samsung-nx2000/samsung-nx2000A.HTM

Apparently running Tizen OS, So hopefully a chance for apps for control and image download to be developed.

https://developer.tizen.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tizen

andy_s

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2013, 07:06:52 PM »
Apparently NX300 now available [UK at least, although quite expensive] and just read -

"Samsung has consolidated various functions into a new Samsung Smart Camera App, available for iOS and Android. This includes wireless transfers, with browsing on either the camera or the smartphone, plus automatic transfers as you shoot. With the app running in the background on our Android smartphone, this made instant online sharing as easy as if we had taken a photo on the phone."

Might be quite nice if Coadey's Arduino trigger works with it.

If anyone should happen to purchase i'd love to hear more.

rosetti roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2013, 06:00:37 PM »
Hi everybody!

I finally managed to make some proofs with my nikon nx1000.

The three proofs have been made with one camera and one rounding table.

In picture 1 I used 2 500watt flashes with 60x90 soft box.(point 24593)

In picture 2 I used 2 500watt flashes with umbrellas pointed directly on the object.(point 27011)

In picture 3 I used 2 500watt flashes with umbrellas directed on the contrary using reflected light.(point 47970)

I think that third solution is the one giving best results. The problem is being able to synchronize more cameras at the same time.

I contacted Samsung Italy and one technician told me that no synchronization is foreseen for this kind of devices.

Has anybody experienced this kind of thing?

I found some Nikon nx1000 at Euros 200 on the internet therefore it could be interesting to find the solution to use more cameras at the same time.

I recently bought the Agisoft standard [/img][/img]licence and would like to know from those who are expert in this field which are the best set ups on Agisoft for this kind of work.

1) in preferences which maximum point number we have to set and with which model generation (medium or aggressive).

2) in build geometry which are the best parameters to obtain a good result.

Any suggestion on the use of Agisoft is highly appreciated.

I will soon publish further results.

Bye,

Roby

mala

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2013, 10:13:52 AM »
Hi Roberto,

It is possible to sync multiple NX1000 fairly accurately using various devices, some of which are mentioned further back in this thread.
I make one called a ShutterCell, PM me if you would like more details.

You will though need to make a custom trigger cable because the NX1000 shutter is controlled via the micro USB port, this is quite simple but delicate work, look back through this thread and you'll see a couple of methods.

Could you post a link to where you found the NX1000 for 200 Euros, that seems very cheap and I need to buy some more.

Cheers,
mala

rosetti roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2013, 12:40:40 PM »
Dear Mala,

many thanks for your kind reply and precious informations.

Unfortunately i'm a beginner and could be possible i will disturb you again in the future.

Below you can find the links .

As you can see from the Twenga website the prices changes week by week.

From the graphic (up on your right) you can see that some days ago the price was 200€ (2013/06/05).

I created a price allert inserting my email. Every time that the price go down an e-mail will be sent to you.

Today the cheapest price is 239€

I ask you if you have some suggests to give me about the Agisoft set up for the scansion of the human figures.

Best regards
roby

http://www.twenga.it/samsung-nx1000.html
http://www.resetdigitale.it/it/samsung/30306-fotocamera-samsung-nx1000-nx-1000-nx-1000-kit-20-50mm-20-50-nero-black-8806085044227.html

hsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2013, 04:56:12 PM »
Roberto,

I am very impressed with your results, even using two cameras.  Thank you for posting the results.

You've inspired me to work harder to finish my rig (8 canon sx130s, and sync by flash); I hop I can upload some files soon.

Keep up the good work.

Harold

andy_s

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2013, 08:43:28 PM »
Thanks for posting Roby - looking good !

That price point is starting to look very attractive for multi-camera purchase.

Merry - can you comment on any tests [you might have completed] to determine the absolute value of shutter-lag ? / shutter-lag variability across multiple units [triggered at the same time] ?

Anyone care to comment on their experience of large scale eye-fi implementation ?

mala

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2013, 02:34:57 PM »
Thank you for the price info Roby.

@andy...I haven't done any tests to determine shutter lag yet with the NX1000, it's something I may look into in the coming weeks.

To be honest I haven't looked at it because I don't think it's an issue for how I intend to you use the cameras...I know from other tests, firing the camera from an MCU that any lag there is with the shutter is small enough that it's not going to cause me a problem.
I will have to see with a larger number of cameras if problems arise due to shutter lag variability, but as I'm not syncing by flash I don't think this is likely to be a big problem.

As I see it at the moment the one and only issue with these cameras is how you get the images out.
All the built in WiFi bits only really work one cam at a time to transfer to PC and it involves changing modes and button presses on the camera.
So the 3 options I can think of are :

- Someone manages to hack the camera....possibly Samsung release some SDK (very doubtful)
but even then I don't think you are going to be able to get past having to make the physical button presses.

- Eye Fi cards or similar...I 've seen various references to using multiple eye-fi cards but no actual documented evidence or examples of it working.

- A slightly dodgy hardware hack...

Cheers,
mala

andy_s

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2013, 09:37:54 PM »
Appreciate that Merry.

In case of further investigation [and that you did not review on the eyefi forum]:-

...What you should do with the wifi is split the cards evenly across the 3 non-interfering channels; 1, 6, & 11 using 3 wifi routers. That should keep the noise down and reliability up. Then just use a switch on the back end with your pc(s) attached to the network. Given that 40 cards won't fit on a single account, you'll need to have a few accounts/helpers running. To do that on a PC will take some work. Using a something like VMware and running multiple OS instances could work but it would be much simpler to use multiple PCs.