Forum

Author Topic: HELP to Build new Computer  (Read 11038 times)

flyzk

• View Profile
Re: HELP to Build new Computer
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 01:00:03 PM »
Hi ManishSahu,

Dual AMD CPU is interesting.. any benchmark with agisoft comparing with I9 or Threadripper?
I can put 1000-1500€ for CPU, which CPU would you recommand to me?  Do you think 2x CPU AMD can increase time process (comparated to I9 or Threadripper)? even with low clock (~2.2) : I was thinking about the 16core serie

and I don't find any motherboard for this socket... any idea?

I would love to build a scalable and evolutive computer, but my lack of knowledge afraid me... I don't wanna do a >5k € misstake or... be a TESTER/BENSHMARKER..

thanks for help !
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 01:16:12 PM by flyzk »

stihl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 05:21:03 PM »
The question that's on everyone's lips is *how* well will all those 32 cores scale for software like Photoscan.
More core does not necessarily mean less computation time if the software is not optimized for it.

I'll wait for the benchmarks to show up. In this world, benchmarks and serious comparisons speak louder than opinions.

Hey Alvaro L,

I remember this post of you. It made me laugh, why? Because I already knew beforehand that simply adding more cores will not mean better performance. This has been proven time and time again.
This goes for Agisoft Photoscan, Pix4D, Bentley ContextCapture, CAD software..any software really.
This does not mean that performance can't get better over time when updates are implemented but this is to be seen.

Now you're of course curious for the proof. Welp here it is;

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Pix4D-CPU-Comparison-Coffee-Lake-vs-Skylake-X-vs-Threadripper-1084/#Results
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 05:24:41 PM by stihl »

GPC

• View Profile
    • Geopro
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 06:23:46 AM »
For that type of money you could buy a Dell precision workstation refurbished in eBay with dual Xeon and 512gb of ram. Buying new is a waste of money.
When things get weird, the weird turn pro.

gto234

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2018, 09:07:02 PM »
IMHO any modern CPU with 32GB or 64GB RAM plus a good GPU will be just fine for UAV photos of 20Mpix (Phantom 4 Pro I suppose).
My biggest project was 505 12Mpix Photos (Phantom 4) and was processed fine in High quality with a pretty old pc with Intel Xeon E5472 3Ghz (core 2 duo era) 8GB DDR2 RAM and nVidia GTX 750Ti. This project took 1 hour for Alignment, 6 hours for depth maps and 7,5 hours for Dense Cloud. It is quite slow processing times but I left it overnight and the next morning it was processed. I don't want to know how little time it would take to process this project with the systems you propose..!!