Forum

Author Topic: HELP to Build new Computer  (Read 10991 times)

flyzk

• View Profile
HELP to Build new Computer
« on: July 31, 2018, 09:09:52 PM »
Hi,

I need some help to build my new computer, my budget is around 4000-5000 USD.

I9 7940
Geforce 1070 TI + 2x Geforce 1060
4x 8G DDR4 2666
SSD M2 1TO

Do you think this combinaison is 'balanced' and worth?
Any advice would be appreciate

thanks for help

Alvaro L

• View Profile
Re: HELP to Build new Computer
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 10:22:55 PM »
Intel Core i9-7960X 2.8Ghz = 1500 euros aprox
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X (16-core/32-thread) = 800 euros

flyzk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 11:59:14 PM »
Hi !
Thanks for your answer !

Does AMD 1950 also allowed 128go ram?

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Agisoft-PhotoScan-1-4-1---CPU-Performance-Comparison-1153/
in results for the Building image set, "build mesh" the AMD 1950 is not really good. Any idea why?
Is the AMD 1950x also intersting with 3x GPU ?

SAV

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 07:08:41 AM »
Hi flyzk,

Also have a look a this page. Very useful information.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Agisoft-PhotoScan-145

Regards,
SAV

Alvaro L

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 01:30:55 PM »
Theadripper supports quad channel, it is a server chip like Intell but much better priced and with higher clock rates. With the money you save on chip you can buy either more ram or SSD or good cooling. Besides AMD is releasing a second version of theadripper with 32/64 threads with the same price as Intel old i9.  It is a mystery to me why anyone could buy Intel these days.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 01:47:40 PM by Alvaro L »

stihl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 03:25:18 PM »
Alvaro L,

The question that's on everyone's lips is *how* well will all those 32 cores scale for software like Photoscan.
More core does not necessarily mean less computation time if the software is not optimized for it.

Therefor in my opinion you'll get lower processing times with a high clocked i9 CPU that runs comfortably at 4.5-4.7GHz.

Alvaro L

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 06:31:04 PM »
The question that's on everyone's lips is *how* well will all those 32 cores scale for software like Photoscan.
More core does not necessarily mean less computation time if the software is not optimized for it.

I'll wait for the benchmarks to show up. In this world, benchmarks and serious comparisons speak louder than opinions.

stihl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 09:00:41 PM »
I'll speak to you in a year once your tears dry up over your purchase mistakes, lol.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 09:06:03 PM by stihl »

flyzk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 09:39:09 PM »
Hi guys,
Thanks for interest.

I'm still not sure at all about my next config..
I use photogrammetry with drone, and take until 1000 pics at 20MPX...

that's what I undestand:

at the first side: I7 8700k seems to be very interesting... price and perf. it seems very competive (with single GPU) but the lack of CPU core is important when using 2x GPU (vs I9 + 2GPU). Max 64Go, not sure how many chunk needed for a 1000x 20MPX pictures project in HIGH?

at the second side: the AMD 1950 is cheaper and seems to have good perf, and evolutive (128go ram max) but it seems to have serious trouble (reading perf) when building dense cloud :o  And I m afraid about the perf when using multi GPU...

at the end.... I9 but I'm interested in 7940... but the Ghz is low....  I9 seems a good choice but when I read the test, it seems I7 8700k is in some points better....

=/ very hard choice..

Alvaro L

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 11:22:52 AM »
If you buy AMD it is possible that you can upgrade later without throwing all your system away, unlike Intel systems. I am saying that because AMD is about to jump to 7nm chip burning, and given AMD past history, it will be compatible with current AMD chipsets. For me, parameters such as chip price, thermal efficiency, power draw and upgrade paths are as important as chip raw performance. In general, with Photoscan with more cores/threads you will never go wrong.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 11:31:19 AM by Alvaro L »

Mak11

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 01:06:41 PM »
Just wanted to point out that Puget's benchmarks are a good source of info but remind people that they are a hardware reseller company & a "preferred partner" with Intel & nVidia. All of their pre-build configs only feature Intel CPUs and nVidia GPUs (deeply buried in the site you can build your own system and there you have the choice of a single AMD Threadripper motherboard and a handful of Radeon Pros).

For the heck of it I ran the same benckmarks as they did here ( https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Agisoft-PhotoScan-1-4-1-NVIDIA-GeForce-vs-AMD-Radeon-Vega-1194/ ) on my PC (Intel i7 6700K, 32GB Ram & Radeon Fury X 4GB) and I got vastly better scores (similar to a GTX1080) than them even thought my GPU has half the ram and lower clocked than the radeons in there...so take those results with a small grain of salt.

flyzk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 06:59:03 PM »
Hi,

Mak11 thanks for explanation. Do you think AMD Threadripper works better with Radeon (than Nvidia) ?

Mak11

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 07:57:17 PM »
Hi,

Mak11 thanks for explanation. Do you think AMD Threadripper works better with Radeon (than Nvidia) ?

Initially that was the case when the Zen architecture was launched last year. Nvidia GPUs performed worst when they where coupled with a Ryzen CPU compared to whith an Intel CPU whioe Radeons didn't have this issue, but this may have been fixed buy now. The only issue (and this can be a big one) is CUDA support which is Nvidia only and unfortunately even if OpenCL has been making some inroads lately there's still a ton of apps that only support it for GPU acceleration. Photoscan is actually the only big Photogrammetry app to support OpenCL but they've added CUDA last year and even just implemented a CUDA only experimental feature today "Style transfer for 3D Model".

flyzk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 09:57:01 PM »
ok !

I think at the moment, and with my poor knowledge, the safest choice is to go with I9 / Nvidia. This setup already is already known to work. (but more expensive..)

ManishSahu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 10:48:59 AM »
Given you have a very high budget, It wouldn't be a problem for you to explore server cpu series  since they can scale to multiple cpus. Looks for AMD Epyc series. It would be a good start for making scalable hardware instead of buying just individual cpus like threadripper or i9