Forum

Author Topic: Filling holes in orthomosaic  (Read 4473 times)

Damian

• View Profile
Filling holes in orthomosaic
« on: August 07, 2018, 03:17:14 PM »
Hello

I have a question that affects the aesthetics rather than accuracy or software problem.
In a project I created a ortomosaic of a whole lake and its coast. As expected - the photos of water were not alligned and the DEM of lake itself was not created - the hole appeared in the middle. The question is - can I somehow import a water texture and fill the hole, so that the investor would get a complete model? Coast is the only important thing, water can be just  plane with texture linking the land.

Thank you for all answers
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 03:24:16 PM by damianbiel »

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Filling hols in orthomosaic
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 03:27:41 PM »
Hello damianbiel,

I think that during the DEM generation you can use Extrapolated option to fill all gaps in the elevation model and for fixing the orthomosaic it would be possible to orient the cameras with the help of Python scripting according to the coordinate and orientation angles information in the Reference pane, providing that they are more or less accurate.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

DayGeckoArt

• View Profile
Re: Filling holes in orthomosaic
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 09:50:39 PM »
The more recent 1.7 manual says

Interpolation
If interpolation mode is Disabled it leads to accurate reconstruction results since only areas
corresponding to dense point cloud points are reconstructed. Manual hole filling is usually required
at the post processing step.With Enabled (default) interpolation mode Metashape will interpolate
some surface areas within a circle of a certain radius around every dense cloud point. As a result some
holes can be automatically covered. Yet some holes can still be present on the model and are to be
filled at the post processing step. In Extrapolated mode the program generates holeless model with
extrapolated geometry. Large areas of extra geometry might be generated with this method, but they
could be easily removed later using selection and cropping tools.

But what is the difference between interpolation and extrapolation?

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Filling holes in orthomosaic
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 02:29:05 PM »
Hello DayGeckoArt,

If speaking about DEM generation, enabled interpolation will generate the surface in the areas that are seen by at least one aligned camera, whereas Extrapolated option generated the hole-less surface in the bounding box region.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC