Forum

Author Topic: Heightfield base plane  (Read 11405 times)

Gatto

• View Profile
    • My website
Heightfield base plane
« on: May 06, 2011, 07:51:50 PM »
Hi,

someone knows how to set baseplane for heightfield meshing ?
is there also a way to rotate the bounding box ?

Thanks,

Meow

Dmitry Semyonov

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Heightfield base plane
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 08:24:54 PM »
Hello Meow,

Currently the base plane for the Height-field rendering is estimated automatically as the principal plane of the reconstructed data. I agree that this may be a limitation in some cases. For example, when processing georeferenced data, it may be advantageous to select the horizontal plane. Can you please provide more information about your specific case? Maybe a screenshot demonstrating undesired behavior, or an explanation why the default plane is not satisfactory. This will be helpful to select the optimal solution.

The bounding box rotation option is a planned feature, but is not yet implemented.

With best regards,
Dmitry Semyonov
AgiSoft LLC
With best regards,
Dmitry Semyonov
Agisoft

Gatto

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 10:11:06 PM »
Hi Dimitry,

sorry fo late answer.

My main use is artistic, I recover from reality 3d model and I CNC machine them. Many times when recovering a model a different base plane is needed in order to have a "quite ready to bas relief" model because the view I need is not one the program decide or I need a small view adjustement to hide non well reconstructed parts.

Look the jpgs, the one according the base plane shows holes and defects (not enough data) the one oriented is much better, no defects and more centrality to Jesus.

Actually I export the mesh and with many passages into different programs I get the result, my bas relief.

Interesting will be to have a "bas relief" processing into your program, actually I bas relief with "cage editing" inside Rhino but require time and results are not even the best.

As you know the creation of a bas relief from a 3d scene in not a simple compression on Z axis but quite more complex, please have a look here http://jgt.akpeters.com/papers/cignonimontaniscopigno97/ and here http://web4.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/t.weyrich/projects/relief/relief.pdf to undertand what I mean.

Thanxs fo considering also artistic/cnc use of the program.

Meow

Dmitry Semyonov

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 02:02:02 AM »
Hello Meow,

The option to select the base plane for the Height-field geometry reconstruction method will be included in the next update. It will be defined by the orientation of the reconstruction volume bounding box.

I doubt that built-in support for bas-relief processing can be included in the near future, but thanks for a nice suggestion anyway.

With best regards,
Dmitry Semyonov
AgiSoft LLC
With best regards,
Dmitry Semyonov
Agisoft

Gatto

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 07:19:02 AM »
This sounds good.

Thanx.

Meow

Gatto

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 08:52:48 PM »
Just upgraded to last release, great implementation the bounding box that we can rotate !

I imagine red face is the baseplane, correct ?

Is a sensation or the reconstruction and meshing is faster ?

Meow

Hello Meow,

The option to select the base plane for the Height-field geometry reconstruction method will be included in the next update. It will be defined by the orientation of the reconstruction volume bounding box.

I doubt that built-in support for bas-relief processing can be included in the near future, but thanks for a nice suggestion anyway.

With best regards,
Dmitry Semyonov
AgiSoft LLC

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 01:39:07 PM »
Hello Meow,

Red face matters while building geometry in Height Field mode, determinating base plane of the reconstructed model.
The processing speed does not depend on that.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:37:45 PM by Wishgranter »
----------------
www.mhb.sk