Forum

Author Topic: plane fit orthomosaic  (Read 2567 times)

william

• View Profile
plane fit orthomosaic
« on: June 29, 2018, 02:09:41 AM »
Hi,

I am dealing with UAV imagery. My GPS data is imprecise, so it can't be relied upon to produce an orthomosaic with the correct orientation. For most of my image sets, the point cloud looks great, but the orthomosaic is at the wrong angle and thus unusable.

I want to abandon the georeferenced orthomosaic, and instead do some kind of plane fit on the point cloud (our data is very flat) to determine the correct orthomosaic orientation. Does anyone have any ideas for how this should be done?

I think I will have to export the point cloud, fit it to a plane using other software, then use those plane coefficients. But I appreciate any suggestions.

Alvaro L

• View Profile
Re: plane fit orthomosaic
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 11:28:22 AM »
CloudCompare !!!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 12:00:15 PM by Alvaro L »

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 03:29:27 PM »
Hello william,

In PhotoScan you can use Planar option in the Build Orthomosaic dialog, providing you have generated mesh model or DEM in the same planar mode.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

william

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 08:41:52 PM »
Thanks. I don't know why I didn't consider Planar XY before. That does seem to work!

william

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 01:46:43 AM »
Just to clarify, does the Planar option do an automatic plane fit, or does it require the user to select 3 plane points? I am looking for an automatic plane fit.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 04:58:35 PM »
Hello william,

What do you mean by "automatic fit"? Do you expect PhotoScan to have a kind of weighted average plane, depending on the distribution of the mesh vertices in the space?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

william

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 07:20:40 PM »
Yes, that's the idea. Or based on the distribution of the points in the point cloud, for instance. Some external libraries offer plane-fitting for point clouds. The normal vector for that plane could then define the orthomosaic orientation.