Forum

Author Topic: Portrait rig experimentation.  (Read 27442 times)

Infinite

• View Profile
Re: Portrait rig experimentation.
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 02:49:59 AM »
Hello!

Network support sounds like it would open up a lot of opportunities.

I have a question regarding cameras for you. Would you recommend going with fewer but higher MP cameras, like the D800, or is it preferable for the geometry reconstruction to go with more lower MP cameras so as to get more angles covered?

This is only very slightly related to this topic but I thought it so interesting that I wanted to share it anyway. It is this http://www.untitledfilms.com.au/blog/2012/12/micro-expression-exploring-motion-image-photography/ about the Canon 1D C that shoots 4k video. Those stills are quite impressive.

Best, Magnus.

I can't say but I personally don't like working with full frame cameras as I am used to framing and using DX in the Canon 550 and 600D. You have to start using more restrictive lenses in FX mode. I have 6x D800's but not enough to really test to compare against an array of 18MP Canons.

The 1D looks good but it's very expensive also rolling shutter I believe like all of the range? you could build a much better dedicated MV camera array (global shutter) for less I think and with more custom support.

Magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 07:20:08 PM »
Hello!

Ah yes, FF is great for creative shooting but not so much for what we are doing here. Your plan is mostly to use the D800 for high res texture extraction?

I was checking out open source camera project Apertus http://www.apertus.org/ The image sensor they are planning to use is quite interesting http://axiom.apertus.org/index.php?site=imagesensor Cool project to keep an eye on!

Best, Magnus.

James

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 08:14:45 PM »
Hi Magnus and Infinite,

Are the issues you describe with the full frame sensor just specific to this application i.e. close range/body scanning?

I had always been under the impression that the larger sensor would be advantageous for photogrammetric applications, in my case 'medium range' - mostly buildings and other large structures.

I had for a while been pushing to upgrade our D7000 (DX) to a D800 (FX) on the assumption that it would be an improvement!

James

RalfH

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 08:23:05 PM »
Hello James,

full format sensors usually have better image quality (e.g. less sensor noise and less "bleeding" between pixels). For close-range applications they are often not advantagous because at the same field of view (larger sensor in combination with a longer focal length) they have a smaller depth of focus. For facades of buildings, air photos etc., full format sensors would be preferable, for close-range applications you'd have to find a compromise between image quality and depth of focus.