Forum

Author Topic: Build an interpolated mesh from an imported point cloud  (Read 4820 times)

Stefan_V

• View Profile
Build an interpolated mesh from an imported point cloud
« on: August 30, 2018, 02:54:34 PM »
Hello

I want to build a mesh from an imported dense cloud. I want to use the model as a background and I want the mesh to be interpolated. It's possible to build a mesh when I choose Interpolation disabled and extrapolated but not enabled. It says "Empty surface".

There is no problem to build an interpolated mesh in the chunk where the photos are, but not when it´s exported and imported again in a new empty chunk.

We have received LiDAR data in .las we want to make 3D-models from so I am checking the possibility to use Agisoft for the purpose.

So is it possible to somehow build an interpolated mesh from an imported point cloud?

Thanks

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Build an interpolated mesh from an imported point cloud
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 05:18:13 PM »
Hello Stefan_V,

You may need to adjust the reconstruction volume in order to fit the imported dense cloud. At the moment, unfortunately, the Reset Region option is based on the sparse cloud only, so you should modify the bounding box dimensions manually use Resize Region, Rotate Region and Move region tools.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Stefan_V

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 07:08:29 PM »
Hello Alexey.

I have managed to move and adjust the reconstruction volume around the point cloud, it takes a minute or two, but the problem is to construct the interpolated mesh. Extrapolation and no interpolation is working.

A reconstruction volume that adapts to a dense cloud and mesh interpolation would be very helpful for us.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 07:55:07 PM »
Hello Stefan_V,

Interpolated option uses the visibility area covered by aligned cameras, so it is not working for the project with no aligned cameras.

I can suggest to use Extrapolated option and, if you are using Professional edition of PhotoScan, draw a shape and assign an outer boundary to it (double-click on the Shapes folder in the Workpace pane to open Ortho view mode, then right-click on the selected shape and set the boundary type) - it should be automatically applied during the Export Model command.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC