Forum

Author Topic: Not the best Pictures used in Orthofoto  (Read 1413 times)

Dieter

• View Profile
Not the best Pictures used in Orthofoto
« on: September 18, 2018, 10:52:29 AM »
Hello,
it often happens that agisoft uses the wrong (worse) photos on the ortho-image. In the attached image, the area can be captured with a single image. Agisoft puts a lot of small pieces from different pictures in this area.

I would like to have an order in which Agisoft uses the images.

1.) Distance to the object
 (The smaller the distance, the better (sharper) the pictures)

2.) Angle to the object
(the more orthogonal the picture was taken to the object, the better the pictures)

In the current state of the software, these orders are underused.
As a result, 200 image areas have to be exchanged in a church facade, which is very time-consuming.
Is it because in the example vertical walls are shown in the orthophoto, which is not the standard in contrast to the horizontal illustration?
If so, can the sequences I have mentioned be used for vertical mappings?

My bad English results from Google translator .......

Thank you.
Dieter

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Not the best Pictures used in Orthofoto
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 07:28:51 PM »
Hello Dieter,

The main criteria that are taken into consideration when the images are selected for the certain area are:
- distance from the camera to the surface,
- smaller angle between camera normal and normal to the surface (mostly for mesh-based orthomosaic),
- distance from the source image center of the related area.

However, they are not considered consequently, but all at once.

In the given example the reason why other images are selected for the small elements could be related to the structure of the mesh model. You can try to use Smooth Mesh operation with some low Strength value to reduce the sharpness of the inner parts of the mesh.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Mak11

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 07:45:36 PM »
Alexey,
Do these criteria also apply to the Generic mapping mode? Im also having similar texturing issues where parts of the model's texture are supper blurry unless I mask every out-of-focus region on every image in the project. It seems like even if a have several perfectly clear images of a certain part and maybe one where this specific part is out of focus, photoscan will still use the out-of-focus one and blend it with the perfectly fine ones resulting in a blurry final output of said region.
(sorry didn't have time yet to follow up on my support ticket and upload the files so you can test)
Thanks

Dieter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 09:27:39 AM »
Hello and thank you for the answer.

I think there is a misunderstanding here. In my case, where vertical walls of buildings are displayed, the software tries to select the images that are parallel to the viewing direction of the orthomosaic. The software should select images that are orthogonal to the object. I have to follow several projects and documented in the picture in the appendix.

The procedure of the software may be correct for field surveys, in my case I wish a different approach.

Is agisoft represented again at Intergeo? There I could bring some examples.

Dieter