Forum

Author Topic: Would this work? Video, turntable solution  (Read 24625 times)

Infinite

• View Profile
Re: Would this work? Video, turntable solution
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 04:06:19 AM »
This might help - http://www.ir-ltd.net/scan-of-a-scan (research I was doing in 2010)

FYI Artec Group software has a basic version of Hao Li's Non Rigid Registration code integrated into it - http://www.artec3d.com/shop/

It took me a couple of years (meetings with Hao Li) and many emails but I got the two parties to work with each other, thus improving Artec scan quality whilst giving other users the ability to utilize the code.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 04:08:29 AM by Infinite »

andy_s

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 01:06:11 PM »
Harold, Lee,

wow - the grey sky just turned blue, THANKYOU guys !  :) :)

@Lee - I have a vague memory of looking at that on your site a few weeks ago [when I first discovered "photogrammetry"] - it musn't have "registered". I figured Artec must have implemented Hao'Li's [or similar] algorithm - it's what started the recent discussion on this thread. You are a true inspiration !

@Harold - i'll check your links out later but just need to go and do a 360 pirouette in the kitchen [in 1 second] first  ;). I just checked and have got slicer "bookmarked" but have promptly forgotten about it.
Current euphoria is blinding, getting ahead of myself now - I wonder if a 4 vertical camera system / 16 photoscan point-cloud / 1 second [or at least very low] capture / rotating external rig [not so dizzy!] / Hao-Li "donkey work" [don't ever let him see that description  ;)] solution is possible...

Wish I knew how cameras worked - anyone a decent link [with timings] to explain how image goes from Non Volatile Cache memory [and what size is it] -> Non Volatile RAM -> card reader OR usb and when is cache cleared [that's just me making things up as I think about it so apologies if its total twaddle]  :-[ 

hsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 06:42:32 PM »
I know exactly how you feel, Andy, about the euphoria.  Lee, you have certainly been an inspiration for all of us, especially how you've figured out how to overcome the many technical problems associated with live scans.  Interesting about Hao Li's work with Arctec, although it's still a bit too expensive for my budget. 

Speaking of problems of of the lazy-susan, I'm planning to use a camera dolly on a circular track that goes around the model, always pointing to the center to capture a (as still as possible) model.  I'll let you know how that works.

I'm using 6 Canon SX130s (got refurbished ones for about $120 each on ebay, sometimes they're cheaper).  With a lot of overlap, I'm happy with the results of inanimate models.

Sync is a challenge; I've been fairly successful using the CHDK, which most Canon point-and-shoot cameras are able to use as a multiple camera sync hack.  http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
Using USB cables, I can get the 6 shutters to remain open for 1/10 second, and now I'm working on some circuits to fire the studio strobes during that 1/10 second.

BTW, Andy, there are some useful posts in their forum about writing a motion trigger for lighting capture that discusses the issues you raise.  Not sure about applicability to DSLRs, however.

It's great to know there are others working on the same challenges!  Looking forward to further collaboration.

Harold

Magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 01:32:30 AM »
Hello all!

Harold, interesting thought about dolly. I was thinking along those lines before, using something like this http://www.kesslercrane.com/kflex-s/107.htm.
Andy and I have been throwing ideas back and forth and hopefully in the not too distant future I will be able to show my build based on our exchanges.
It can maybe best be described as a wheeled, rotating light tent with cameras attached on each vertical pole, hehe. It will be manually rotating at first but later motorized.

Best, Magnus.

hsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 07:28:56 AM »
Wow, that part about hauling the light tent around in a circle is creative!  I'm looking forward to see your build and the agisoft results.

It's amazing how bouncing ideas back and forth with other people speeds up the process.  Best of luck!

Harold