Forum

Author Topic: Agisoft Metashape 1.5.0 pre-release  (Read 149345 times)

Paulo

• View Profile
Re: Agisoft Metashape 1.5.0 pre-release
« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2018, 08:33:17 PM »
Dear support,

thanks for the update to pre releaseā€¦.

I would like to ask what is the meaning and use of setting photo invariant parameters in Camera Calibration?

For example in new Phantom 4 RTK camera, the exif data specifies calibrated focal length and principal point (optical center):

---- XMP-drone-dji ----
Absolute Altitude               : +683.68
Relative Altitude               : +40.00
Gps Latitude                    : 40.14186282
Gps Longtitude                  : -3.82089900
Gimbal Roll Degree              : +0.00
Gimbal Yaw Degree               : -83.90
Gimbal Pitch Degree             : -90.00
Flight Roll Degree              : -1.40
Flight Yaw Degree               : -79.90
Flight Pitch Degree             : -18.80
Flight X Speed                  : +0.00
Flight Y Speed                  : -0.30
Flight Z Speed                  : +0.00
Cam Reverse                     : 0
Gimbal Reverse                  : 0
Self Data                       : Undefined
Calibrated Focal Length         : 3666.666504
Calibrated Optical Center X     : 2736.000000
Calibrated Optical Center Y     : 1824.000000
Rtk Flag                        : 50
Rtk Std Lon                     : 0.03910
Rtk Std Lat                     : 0.03385
Rtk Std Hgt                     : 0.06432
Dewarp Flag                     : 1

Should we then define f, cx and cy as photo invariant in Camera Calibration as well as set f = 3666.666504, cx = cy =0 ?

Any info on this question? anyone ?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 07:11:40 PM by Paulo »
Best Regards,
Paul Pelletier,
Surveyor

james_AU

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2018, 11:01:01 AM »
Hi Alexey / Zakhar,

Thanks for all the fixes in the new release! All seems to be working!

Kind regards,

James
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:02:32 AM by james_AU »

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2018, 05:55:34 PM »
Metashape tends to give, consistently, poor results both in Dense Point Cloud and Mesh. Things get worst when perfect conditions in photographies are not possible. Here are the results from a table terrain model with photos taken in low light conditions with an iPhone 7 Plus. Comparison between Photoscan (Latest version) and Metashape (latest beta). Diferences are impressive. The parameters are exactly the same in both packages.
Hello RHenriques,

Thank you for providing the sample image set.

Actually, if processed using Mild filtering option the difference is not so considerable, while aggressive filters out the unreliable areas that are too noisy and lack actual information. If you look on the source images - the surface details are almost lost due to image compression and high noise. If you look on the areas that are missing in 1.5.0 in the dense cloud from the older version, you would see that the point cloud there is very noisy, meaning that it is inaccurate and also unreliable.

Screenshot below demonstrates the results of processing in the version 1.5 (left side) and 1.4 (right side). High quality and Mild filtering have been used.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

RHenriques

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 20, 2018, 07:28:28 PM »
Thank you Alexey! Usually I use the aggressive filter precisely to avoid High Noisy Clouds. I'll have to change a little bit my habits to adapt to Metashape. It's good to know that this issue is rather easy to solve. I'll try later the same settings to see if I can get the same results.
Best Regards

jnb

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2018, 02:25:31 PM »
Hello,

I don't know if this is related to the beta version, but I have an error trying to import chunk in an existing project (missing point_cloud/points2.zip).
But I have no problem opening or working on this specific chunk.

Regards

james_AU

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 22, 2018, 02:58:19 PM »
Hi Alexey / Zakhar,

I have tried to set in motion a batch job consisting of a dense cloud on ultra high quality and a DEM. It will take perhaps 20 hours to run. Fine.  However, after having disconnected from the service to leave it to get on with it, when I try check back on the progress of the result, the following error is returned. I left the same process to run overnight and the same error message was returned this morning. The account status page said the job was still in progress. Perhaps I should leave it until the job has finished / a long period of time has elapsed (at least a day and a half). Or perhaps it is another bug?

Update: the processes successfully completed and the model is now downloading... so whatever the error message refers to, the system is robust enough to survive. However, for a model at dense cloud + DEM of 46 GB, I am going to need some more memory to go to the next level. Files tend to become 3 times as large after a mesh is created. The model is of one of Denmark's most significant rock art sites that was recently discovered on Bornholm.

Kind regards,

James
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 10:00:05 AM by james_AU »

jnb

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 23, 2018, 01:26:29 PM »
Hi again,

I may have found a new bug : when generating a MNE while orthomaisaics alreeady exist, orthomosaics won't display anymore.

Regards

RHenriques

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 23, 2018, 04:18:52 PM »
The new Build Tiled Model produces good meshes. However, if we align photos and directly produce a tiled model, it's impossible to build a DEM or an Orthomosaic. The tiled model seems to be, at least, as good (if not better) as the meshes that are obtained with the classical steps. Considering that it's possible to obtain a DEM from the mesh using the classical approach, is it not also possible to obtain it from a mesh obtained with the "tiled model" reconstruction method? Is this a real limitation that makes this feature impossible or an ongoing development? Not being able to extract a DEM from a tiled model (and an Ortho) is a limitation for all those that are using Metashape to extract mapping data from aerial surveys. Of course, there's always the classical approach that works really well.
Cheers

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 23, 2018, 06:12:49 PM »
Hello RHenriques,

We are planning to add the DEM generation from the tiled model in the version 1.5.0 release. If dense cloud stage needs to be skipped.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 23, 2018, 06:36:11 PM »
I may have found a new bug : when generating a MNE while orthomaisaics alreeady exist, orthomosaics won't display anymore.

Hello jnb,

I'm not observing this issue with the current pre-release build. Is it possible that you are gnerating DEM in a different coordinate system than orthomosaic has been generated in? Does "reset view" button works for orthomosaic in the Ortho view to bring it back?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

jnb

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 23, 2018, 07:03:11 PM »
Indeed, reset view button was the solution, sorry for the false alarm and thank you very much for your answer.

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 23, 2018, 08:58:04 PM »
I have tried to set in motion a batch job consisting of a dense cloud on ultra high quality and a DEM. It will take perhaps 20 hours to run. Fine.  However, after having disconnected from the service to leave it to get on with it, when I try check back on the progress of the result, the following error is returned. I left the same process to run overnight and the same error message was returned this morning. The account status page said the job was still in progress. Perhaps I should leave it until the job has finished / a long period of time has elapsed (at least a day and a half). Or perhaps it is another bug?

Update: the processes successfully completed and the model is now downloading... so whatever the error message refers to, the system is robust enough to survive. However, for a model at dense cloud + DEM of 46 GB, I am going to need some more memory to go to the next level. Files tend to become 3 times as large after a mesh is created. The model is of one of Denmark's most significant rock art sites that was recently discovered on Bornholm.

Hello James,

Seems to be a bug, although it doesn't affect the processing. We'll fix it in the next pre-release update.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

RHenriques

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 25, 2018, 07:34:15 PM »
I had some time to test a few datasets, mainly captures by UAV's and Metashape really has a problem in dense clouds. Usually they are a lot poor than the ones produced in version 1.44. Even with the filtering disabled, lots of areas disappear from the cloud leaving huge holes. This problem is common mainly in areas with vegetation or more complex terrain. The last version usually solves these areas quite well. Metashape tends to eliminate them, apparently with excessive filtering. It's not a case of a single dataset or special cases. Its consistent whenever there's terrain and vegetation. The tied model improves things a bit because these areas get solved. However there are a few things that still need a dense cloud to be generated (for instance point classification). Meshes from dense clouds are also more detailed, at the present stage, than meshes produced using tiled model. Probably things will improve if some bugs in high quality tiled model generation are solved and a DEM can be generated from it.
Cheers

PS: Tried with filtering disabled and the cloud, as expected, does not have any holes. It seems that the thresholds for the filtering limits have been tighten, maybe too much. I would say that the depth Mild filtering in now equivalent to the Moderate option in PS 1.4.4 and "Disabled" from MS is almost equivalent and Mild in PS 1.44. It's more or less what James_AU is also saying in the next post. In UAV surveys, we might need the data that is "disappearing" now in Metashape if Mild Filter is used but using disabled is a little bit excessive also. Maybe we could get a few more options in the middle to get the best of both versions.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 04:54:34 AM by RHenriques »

james_AU

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2018, 11:38:04 PM »
I had some time to test a few datasets, mainly captures by UAV's and Metashape really has a problem in dense clouds. Usually they are a lot poor than the ones produced in version 1.44. Even with the filtering disabled, lots of areas disappear from the cloud leaving huge holes. This problem is common mainly in areas with vegetation or more complex terrain. The last version usually solves these areas quite well. Metashape tends to eliminate them, apparently with excessive filtering. It's not a case of a single dataset or special cases. Its consistent whenever there's terrain and vegetation. The tied model improves things a bit because these areas get solved. However there are a few things that still need a dense cloud to be generated (for instance point classification). Meshes from dense clouds are also more detailed, at the present stage, than meshes produced using tiled model. Probably things will improve if some bugs in high quality tiled model generation are solved and a DEM can be generated from it.
Cheers

Hi RHenriques & Alexey

Interesting. I have been rereading the post on this issue as well as the replies. I have also noticed more holes in the final result. However, for me these emerge at a scale that is less problematic for my purposes. However, I think Alexey's observation is very pertinent: there was more noise in those areas. This lowers the statistical confidence of the matches, resulting in rejection during the alignment stage. The lack of sufficient key and tie points is then carried through into the dense cloud

Agisoft have stated in another post (http://www.agisoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=89.0), the workflow is similar to SIFT, although  there have been changes since 2011. However, SIFT only considers matches to be true if they pass a very high level of confidence. I suspect that, as the software has developed, the threshold has been successively tightened (and why not) and further improvements have been implemented to improve precision. Personally, working with depth differences in rock art regularly as little as 1mm, I value that focus on precision.  If we are not as sure as we thought we before: ok. Then we need to reevaluate the quality of our pictures and/or look critically on why this might be the case, particularly surfaces with a very uniform texture.

Regards

James
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 11:39:37 PM by james_AU »

bisenberger

• View Profile
    • Digital Mapping & Graphics
« Reply #134 on: November 26, 2018, 06:08:57 PM »
Hello RHenriques,

We are planning to add the DEM generation from the tiled model in the version 1.5.0 release. If dense cloud stage needs to be skipped.

Excellent!
Digital Mapping & Graphics LLC
https://digital-mapping.net/