Forum

Author Topic: Lens choice : Ultra wide angle vs fisheye, electric contacts  (Read 1202 times)

Shadow

• View Profile
    • My 3D scans on Sketchfab
Lens choice : Ultra wide angle vs fisheye, electric contacts
« on: October 12, 2018, 02:48:11 PM »
Hello,

I found quite a few topics about ultra wide angle lenses, others about fisheye lenses, but not much about one vs the other.

Basically, I've been shooting interiors (museums, rooms, etc) using a 16-35mm f4 lens at 16mm and a full frame camera, which is quite wide already, and I'm considering going even further. The idea would be to use an even wider lens to shoot small rooms, corridors, museums with narrow passageways, etc.

These lenses seem to be good candidates :
- The Voigtländer 10 mm or 12mm  F5,6 Ultra Wide Heliar (Sony E mount, manual lens) ;
- The Laowa 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 FE, also available for Sony E- mount users but without any electric contacts (no EXIF data and manual lens) ;
- A circular or diagonal fisheye lens.

Since a 10mm ultra wide angle lens and a fisheye lens will have similar fields of view, I was wondering if the quality was similar in Photoscan ?

Another question : since the focal lens and lens type can be added manually in Photoscan, I assume the lack of electric contacts of the 10-18mm lens won't be an issue, as long as I remember to write down the focal length I used for each shoot ?