Forum

Author Topic: Improving building 3D model  (Read 1485 times)

jazzyj

• View Profile
Improving building 3D model
« on: November 08, 2018, 04:49:51 AM »
I'm trying to build a 3D model of the rooftop of a building which has structures on the roof like A/C unit (bit like 6ft x 6ft x 6ft unit) and smaller vents that are like 1ft square and 6 inches tall.  I took the photos with a drone where the nadir (overhead photos) were like 70% sidelap 80% frontlap.  I then did the same with 45-degree obliques in a criss cross instead back and forth pattern and finally oblique perimeter shots around the edge of the roof facing in also at about a 45-degree angle. 

Photographically the model is "so so"  some edges are pretty warped but that's pretty typical.  But when I export a mesh model, things like the big AC unit instead of being fairly rectangular it looks more like a blob even more so on the smaller object.  I don't expect t to get straight edges as I think that's pretty much impossible using photogrammetry (need to use Lidar for that)  But I'm wondering if there are suggestions (other than take more photos) to improve the model creation in Photoscan. 

I basically used all the defaults, like High Accuracy camera alignment and medium density point cloud.  It's about 350 20megapixel photos (not a very large roof as far as commercial standards, maybe 10,000 sq ft at most)

Hoping I can reprocess with some setting tweaks to make the model look a little better.  Basically I need to bring it into a CAD program to identify and make *approximate* measurements of the roof area and the significant object on the roof.  It just looks pretty blobby.  Or is the real solution to take a lot more photos?  I flew really close to the roof on this one only like 25 feet above it.  Maybe the fact I don't have any farther back photos showing larger areas of the roof could be contributing to the lack of straight geometry in the model?

« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 04:57:12 AM by jazzyj »